Battery issues Aspire 7 A717-72G-700J 17.3"

Juwan53
Juwan53 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited June 2021 in Aspire Laptops
I have an Acer Aspire 7 A717-72G-700J 17.3" model laptop. I've had it for about a little over a year, but the battery has been rather degraded by quite a bit. Recently, as in the last few days, my laptop has been completely shutting down with no warning when the battery reaches a charge of 25-to-33% and the percentage margin for the automatic shutdowns keeps getting progressively higher. I haven't been through any major software updates or changes, and I've tried resetting my laptop's battery via the reset button on the back. So is there an issue with my laptop itself, or does the battery need to be replaced? Regardless of the cause of the issue how do I fix it?

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,444 Trailblazer
    Open Device Manager. Click batteries folder. Right click and uninstall all drivers you find in this folder. Then exit Device Manager without reinstalling anything. Then open Control Panel. Search 'button'. Click 'change what the power buttons do' in left pane. Click 'change  settings that are currently unavailable', Scroll down and uncheck the box for fast startup. Then shutdown Windows normally.

Then turn the machine back on. Then go to the elevated command prompt.  Enter 'powercfg /batteryreport'. Then return to the desktop. Open file explorer. Then search for' battery-report.html' in the c:\windows\system32\ sub-folder. Double-click to open it in the browser. Post screenshot of the first part of the report if possible that compares design full charge capacity with its remaining full charge capacity. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Juwan53
    The report indicates that only about 70% of the design capacity remains in the Full Charge Capacity, but I don't know that actually solves my shutdown problems.

• JackE
    Did you do this yet? >>>Open Device Manager. Click batteries folder. Right click and uninstall all drivers you find in this folder. Then exit Device Manager without reinstalling anything. Then open Control Panel. Search 'button'. Click 'change what the power buttons do' in left pane. Click 'change  settings that are currently unavailable', Scroll down and uncheck the box for fast startup. Then shutdown Windows normally.>>>

Jack E/NJ

• Juwan53
    Yes, I did everything you previously instructed and it didn't fix the issue as my laptop still just completely shut down after reaching 33% on battery power. 
  • JackE
    Do you get any low battery warnings before it shuts down? If not, replace the battery. Google part no. KT.0040G.011 or KT.00407.006 for battery vendors who ship to your location. About $40usd.

Jack E/NJ

• Juwan53
    Nah there's no warning and I recently called Acer support so and according to them, it may be an issue with the battery itself.
  • JackE
    Then as noted earlier, replace the battery. Google part no. KT.0040G.011 or KT.00407.006 for battery vendors who ship to your location. About $40usd.

Jack E/NJ