Keyboard backlight turns on automatically when turning on laptop(A715-42G)

knight55
knight55 Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

My acer aspire 7 laptop's backlight turns on and remains on everytime when powering on laptop even if it was turned off before boot. However if I restart my laptop then the backlight remains off. I have turned on disable backlight timer in bios. I had tried uninstalling acer care center and quick access separately and also together and the issue resolved temporarily but it came back again later. Any way how to fix it? Disabling windows fast startup also didn't help. 

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,775 Trailblazer
    (1) Remove the charger. Insert paperclip into battery reset pinhole for 30 seconds. Then plug the charger back in.
    (2) Turn it back on and immediately F2 back into the BIOS menu. Press F9 to load BIOS defaults. The F10 to save settings and exit.

Jack E/NJ

• knight55

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    (1) Remove the charger. Insert paperclip into battery reset pinhole for 30 seconds. Then plug the charger back in.
    (2) Turn it back on and immediately F2 back into the BIOS menu. Press F9 to load BIOS defaults. The F10 to save settings and exit.

I tried it 3 times now but it didn't work.
  • JackE
    >>>I had tried uninstalling acer care center and quick access separately and also together and the issue resolved temporarily but it came back again later. >>>

About how long ago to it come back? Approximate date?

Jack E/NJ

• knight55

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    >>>I had tried uninstalling acer care center and quick access separately and also together and the issue resolved temporarily but it came back again later. >>>

About how long ago to it come back? Approximate date?
    I first checked for acer care center. Uninstalling it fixed the issue for about 2 days but then it came back. Then I tried uninstalling acer quick access and issue went away again but for a shorter time, I would say 1 day(1 boot).
  • knight55

Tinkerer

I am not sure but maybe this issue could be due to bios update? I had updated bios few days ago. I didn't revert back because I fear that could brick the device.
  • JackE
    (1) Open Control Panel. Search 'restore point'. Click 'create a restore point' in left pane. If System Protection is turned on, click System Restore button. Click next. Do you see a restore point with a date stamp that is just before you noticed the issue?

(2) When unplugged, does the backlight timeout properly?

Jack E/NJ

• knight55

Tinkerer

1)No restore points from the time the issue is occuring. 
    2)I have turned backlight timeout off in bios. For the specific scenario, yes the backlight times out when that setting is turned on in bios(both on battery and when plugged out).
    I also didn't want to do a system restore because many settings amd configurations get changed and it's hard to track it.
    I suspect this issue related to bios or acer in built configurations/apps.
  • JackE
    >>> I had updated bios few days ago>>>

This is not recommended unless you were trying to fix a serious issue that the BIOS firmware update description specifically addressed. The risk of irreversible side effects like this or worse are greater for firmware updates than ordinary driver software updates. We can try to re-install the earlier firmware version but this too carries risks and not guaranteed to resolve the issue.

Jack E/NJ

• knight55

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    >>> I had updated bios few days ago>>>

This is not recommended unless you were trying to fix a serious issue that the BIOS firmware update description specifically addressed. The risk of irreversible side effects like this or worse are greater for firmware updates than ordinary driver software updates. We can try to re-install the earlier firmware version but this too carries risks and not guaranteed to resolve the issue.
    Then why did acer release bios update, tell me? For us not to update? They have written in description that it improves system stability so I updated it. You should blame acer for that not me for releasing such updates. I have updated bios in other computers too(when necessary) but never faced a problem like this. I am not sure if bios update caused this issue hence I did not try to revert it. But your acer software like quick access and care center certainly do have their problems of their own which cause issues like this. The baddest being quick access trying to revert color profile on every reboot(hence I had to uninstall it but lost some functionality due to it). Acer software is just plain up bad and trying to blame users for it is no excuse for it.
  • JackE
    Sorry, that's why a red warning is at the top of firmware updates and kept separate from the regular driver updates. If you felt your system was somehow  "unstable"--a subjective vague word that often depends on the user's sensitivity---then it might be something to try as a last resort if the instability was seriously disrupting. Otherwise, 'improve system stability' description is too vague if the laptop seems be functioning OK.

Do you feel the issue is seriously disrupting enough in your situation to want to risk a firmware backdate? If it was mine, I'd probably leave it alone and keep checking the download site for an update that addresses the issue. 

Jack E/NJ

• knight55

Tinkerer

It is irritating for sure to keep pressing backlight button on every boot. There were no harmful consequences from the bios update other than perhaps this thing. Never faced any issue with bios update before(when doing necessary updates) hence I updated it. I thought maybe I could get some benefit from the update hence I downloaded and installed it. Is there any link on how to downgrade bios. Is there any risk? I can wait for update but it seems unlikely there will be one in a short time. Software like acer care center and quick access which are buggy have been left non updated for months.
  • JackE
    Sure there are risks going back. Probably more than updating. It  might not solve the issue.  It could create other even more annoying side effects. Or worse. Here's the link  for the Insyde process. I wouldn't try it if it was mine. But it's not mine.

Jack E/NJ

• knight55

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Sure there are risks going back. Probably more than updating. It  might not solve the issue.  It could create other even more annoying side effects. Or worse. Here's the link  for the Insyde process. I wouldn't try it if it was mine. But it's not mine.

The problem here is that I discovered there is no executable file for the original version of the bios shipped with the machine on the acer site. How will I downgrade it now?
    Can you pass on feedback to the devs? I wish I could tell them to fix the issue but cannot do so directly.
  • knight55

Tinkerer

JackE said:

The problem here is that I discovered there is no executable file for the original version of the bios shipped with the machine on the acer site. How will I downgrade it now?
    Can you pass on feedback to the devs? I wish I could tell them to fix the issue but cannot do so directly.
  • JackE
    Sorry, I have no sway to do it directly either since I'm only an user just like you on an ACER users forum, not an ACER employee or service rep. You can try to make a request by clicking on this link, selecting your region, clinking on its support link therein and making a request via email, phone, chatline especially if your machine is still under warranty. However, you'll probably be advised to send the laptop in for service which will likely be a hassle.

Jack E/NJ

• knight55

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Sorry, I have no sway to do it directly either since I'm only an user just like you on an ACER users forum, not an ACER employee or service rep. You can try to make a request by clicking on this link, selecting your region, clinking on its support link therein and making a request via email, phone, chatline especially if your machine is still under warranty. However, you'll probably be advised to send the laptop in for service which will likely be a hassle.
    But aren't acer community leaders a part of acer? Like your name is in leaderboard. Are leaderboard members not representing acer?  I though community mods were responsible for being in contact with both users and company?
  • JackE
    Forum moderators are paid ACER employees or service contractors that officially represent ACER. Not us. We represent ourselves.  Sometimes our opinions and suggestions represent official ACER policy. Sometimes not.  You can also make a request via a personal message to one or more ACER forum moderators. They seem to have more sway than us. Maybe they'll try to intervene on your behalf with the ACER firmware personnel. Maybe not. They may even agree with my suggestion to contact your regional ACER service headquarters via the worldwide link.   :)

Jack E/NJ

• knight55

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Forum moderators are paid ACER employees or service contractors that officially represent ACER. Not us. We represent ourselves.  Sometimes our opinions and suggestions represent official ACER policy. Sometimes not.  You can also make a request via a personal message to one or more ACER forum moderators. They seem to have more sway than us. Maybe they'll try to intervene on your behalf with the ACER firmware personnel. Maybe not. They may even agree with my suggestion to contact your regional ACER service headquarters via the worldwide link.   :)

The thing is acer support in our region is very bad(among the worst in laptop companies). It is one of the reasons why I came to forums and not support. How can one contact mods? Is it worth passing feedback to them?
  • JackE
    Hover over the first few avatars near the bottom of the page showing who's currentlhy on line. You're looking for a moderator or Acer crew member. Click on it. It'll take to you their page in which you can click on a private message button.

Jack E/NJ