Predator Helios 700 - PH717-72-77Y6 - Problem

Options
Hell_J
Hell_J Member Posts: 61 Devotee WiFi Icon
Hello,

Laptop won't turn on, won't recharge or shows any sign of life. Do you have any idea why?

I used laptop every day since purchase and it was all fine till yesterday night. I used the computer at work, till 3pm, and turned it off and put it in the bag to carry it home, which is 10min drive away.
Got home and put laptop where I usually keep it (room temperature was around 26°C), it didn't fall and I didn't do anything, then around 10pm I wanted to check something and get it out of the bag.
When I pressed the power button it just flashed and nothing, first I tought that battery is empty (although strange to discharge completely without using it) so I plugged in the power supply and nothing happens. The light which usually lights up when charger is plugged in, does nothing.
Tried to power it on again this morning but still doesn't show any signs of life.

Fixes that I tried:

I unplugged charger and waited 15 min and then pressed battery reset, does nothing.
I opened first cover (unsrewed two screws and gently opened plastic cover) and all seems alright, everything is plugged in.

Did anyone experiance similar problem or anyone knows what could have happend in 7 hours?

Laptop was bought at 21. January 2021., and only modifications that were made was that I upgraded RAM and put more SSD disks. This was done right after purchase so laptop worked with those components for few months without any problem. 

What can I do? Send it to local service which is listed on ITW site and see what they can do to fix it?

Thank you in advance.

Best Answer

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,980 Trailblazer
    edited June 2021 Answer ✓
    Options
    Hell_J said:
    Hello,

Laptop won't turn on, won't recharge or shows any sign of life. Do you have any idea why?

I used laptop every day since purchase and it was all fine till yesterday night. I used the computer at work, till 3pm, and turned it off and put it in the bag to carry it home, which is 10min drive away.
    Got home and put laptop where I usually keep it (room temperature was around 26°C), it didn't fall and I didn't do anything, then around 10pm I wanted to check something and get it out of the bag.
    When I pressed the power button it just flashed and nothing, first I tought that battery is empty (although strange to discharge completely without using it) so I plugged in the power supply and nothing happens. The light which usually lights up when charger is plugged in, does nothing.
    Tried to power it on again this morning but still doesn't show any signs of life.

Fixes that I tried:

I unplugged charger and waited 15 min and then pressed battery reset, does nothing.
    I opened first cover (unsrewed two screws and gently opened plastic cover) and all seems alright, everything is plugged in.

Did anyone experiance similar problem or anyone knows what could have happend in 7 hours?

Laptop was bought at 21. January 2021., and only modifications that were made was that I upgraded RAM and put more SSD disks. This was done right after purchase so laptop worked with those components for few months without any problem. 

What can I do? Send it to local service which is listed on ITW site and see what they can do to fix it?

Thank you in advance.

Hell_J my advice to you is this, as its most likely that your “Predator Helios 700 - PH717-72-77Y6” has got a power chip component that has shorted out and/or burned out, this happens just randomly from humidity and/or low quality component(s). This problem needs (specially under warranty) to be diagnosed and fixed by an experienced technician and as your laptop was purchased on the 21st January 2021 its under warranty so “DON’T OPEN IT AND/OR TRY TO DO ANYTHING TO IT”! take it to or send it to Acer in your area, as Acer will probably replace your motherboard as they will not replace individual chips and micro solder them to fix these sorts of problems. 

If you want to send it to Acer by post then go to this link “Acer Customer Self Service” and fill in all the information and send it to them or and if not, phone them in your area and take it their service department, I must stress, don't try to fix this problem as it’s not as simple as pressing any keys or software related, let Acer fix your problem.  Good luck and hope this has helped you out.

Answers

• StevenGen
    edited June 2021 Answer ✓
    Options
    Hell_J said:
    Hello,

Fixes that I tried:

Thank you in advance.

Hell_J my advice to you is this, as its most likely that your “Predator Helios 700 - PH717-72-77Y6” has got a power chip component that has shorted out and/or burned out, this happens just randomly from humidity and/or low quality component(s). This problem needs (specially under warranty) to be diagnosed and fixed by an experienced technician and as your laptop was purchased on the 21st January 2021 its under warranty so “DON’T OPEN IT AND/OR TRY TO DO ANYTHING TO IT”! take it to or send it to Acer in your area, as Acer will probably replace your motherboard as they will not replace individual chips and micro solder them to fix these sorts of problems. 

If you want to send it to Acer by post then go to this link “Acer Customer Self Service” and fill in all the information and send it to them or and if not, phone them in your area and take it their service department, I must stress, don't try to fix this problem as it’s not as simple as pressing any keys or software related, let Acer fix your problem.  Good luck and hope this has helped you out.

• Hell_J
    Options
    I added SSD and RAM to it already, few weeks after purchase. It didn't have warranty sticker on the under side. 
    Do I pull out those components that were added or can I leave them inside?
  • StevenGen
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Hell_J said:
    I added SSD and RAM to it already, few weeks after purchase. It didn't have warranty sticker on the under side. 

Adding an SSD and RAM (depends on what you have fitted) as certain cheap components are of inferior quality and can cause these sorts of problems but, ugrading your SSD and RAM will not void your warranty.

Just to be sure, I would take these components out and send the laptops like it was new and its OEM specs to Acer, just in case but, seeing that the laptop worked with those components, take that SSD and RAM out and try to turn your laptop on and see if it fires up? And those are not what is causing your power problem but and just in case, your laptop doesn’t work still, take them out before you send your laptop to Acer, so that Acer doesn’t use any excuses that its those components that have caused your problem.

• Hell_J
    Options
    I sent an e-mail and called service center. They will pick up the laptop and see what's wrong with it.

I asked the service guy if I add RAM and SSD to my laptop will it void the warranty and he said that it is my property and they cannot forbid me to do what I want. Although if I add RAM and/or SSD I need to be very careful not to break something because any damage will void the warranty. 
    Hope I'll help someone with that information.

I'm from Croatia, if that matters.

• Hell_J
    Options
    StevenGen said:
    Hell_J said:

Adding an SSD and RAM (depends on what you have fitted) as certain cheap components are of inferior quality and can cause these sorts of problems but, ugrading your SSD and RAM will not void your warranty.

Just to be sure, I would take these components out and send the laptops like it was new and its OEM specs to Acer, just in case but, seeing that the laptop worked with those components, take that SSD and RAM out and try to turn your laptop on and see if it fires up? And those are not what is causing your power problem but and just in case, your laptop doesn’t work still, take them out before you send your laptop to Acer, so that Acer doesn’t use any excuses that its those components that have caused your problem.

I will take out those components, like you said, so they don't use that as an excuse.
    Thank you.
  • Hell_J
    Options
    You were spot on the problem. 
    I sent it to service center and they diagnosed it  was motherboard that is broken.
    They ordered new one and in 15-20 days I will have my laptop back.

One more question:

Let's say that this faliure of motherboard can come as sudden as rain in rainforest, should I be scared for my other Predators? 
    I have PH717-71, Helios 500 and Alienware 17 R5 that don't have warranty anymore. 
    Is this exception to the rule or do this thigs happen often? How can I prevent it from happening to my older laptops? 

So I don't suffer nervous breakdown and small stroke every time I have to turn them on. 
    One solution would be never to turn them off..  
  • StevenGen
    Options
    Hell_J said:
    You were spot on the problem. 
    I sent it to service center and they diagnosed it  was motherboard that is broken.
    They ordered new one and in 15-20 days I will have my laptop back.

One more question:

Let's say that this faliure of motherboard can come as sudden as rain in rainforest, should I be scared for my other Predators? 
    I have PH717-71, Helios 500 and Alienware 17 R5 that don't have warranty anymore. 
    Is this exception to the rule or do this thigs happen often? How can I prevent it from happening to my older laptops? 

So I don't suffer nervous breakdown and small stroke every time I have to turn them on. 
    One solution would be never to turn them off..  

Hell_J, I'm glad that you sorted this problem out and Acer has diagnosed and will fix this problem for you. As far as this problem coming back, its not a usual problem but computer chips like mosfet, diodes etc etc  are always prone to failure if your laptop overheats, power mains failure as you can’t do anything but look after your laptop by turning it off and not having it on sleep and/or plugged into a power supply all the time.