Aspire A517-51G Why does laptop starts to boot then shuts down?

Username83
Username83 Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited June 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Why does laptop starts to boot then shuts down? Aspire A517-51G. I removed the HD, battery, extra RAM, wifi adapter, factory reset the cmos. Tried it with the charger plugged and unplugged, it doesn't make a difference. I will press F2 to enter the BIOS but only last for about 5 seconds then shuts down. The BIOS is recognizing the 4gb of onboard RAM and able to set the correct date. I have read on some posts for the 515-51G that it has a SWG1 switch, my motherboard does not have this switch. A spot for the switch but it was not added.

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,776 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Did this start happening all of a sudden for no apparent reason?

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• William_mk2
    William_mk2 ACE Posts: 4,167 Pathfinder
    Username83

We need to determine whether it is a hardware or software related issue.     Turn off the computer.   Tap f2 while turning on the computer.    Go to bios.   If the computer shutsdown on the bios screen automatically then it is a hardware related issue.   

Since your computer shutsdown automatically in bios,  it is a hardware issue.   It is not a software related issue.     Some hardware components or parts inside your computer might have gone bad.    You might have to replace it.    If your computer is in warranty contact the warranty dept otherwise you need to contact local tech.   If your laptop is in warranty you can contact the warranty dept.     Go to the website support.acer.com - chose your country.   On the new page - scroll down -  click on "contact support".  Scroll down.  You can find the phone no to contact the warranty dept. 

If it is out of warranty, please contact local store or

Go to the website support.acer.com - chose your country.   On the new page - scroll down -  Click on  "Repair My Acer" - Request to have your Acer product repaired.   There will be charges for repair. 

Additional info to contact Acer Store:  Please visit the website - support.acer.com - chose your country - click on shop.   You can buy desktop, laptop, monitor and accessories.  Alternatively,  on the top right corner you can find the phone no to contact Acer store.   For the parts which are not available on Acer store, you have to contact local store.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    Did this start happening all of a sudden for no apparent reason?

Jack E/NJ

• Username83

Tinkerer

It just happened all of a sudden. I was using Chrome and an Acer error message popped up. Didn't really get a chance to read it before the computer shut down. I have come to the conclusion that it must be hardware related, something on the MB, because I can't get even get into the BIOS for more than 10 seconds. Like I mentioned in my first post, I've disconnected everything that I could but nothing helps. Is there service manual or a diagnostic tool that I can download to help me trouble shoot this.
  • Username83

Tinkerer

Also I wanted to mention that the computer is about 2.5 year old and out of warranty. Does Acer sell motherboard. C5V01 LA-E892P.
  • JackE
    When you first turn it on, do you hear the fan spinning at high speed?

In answer to your last question, yes new mainboards are available but quite expensive even from discount vendors like aliexpress. For example, seehttps://www.aliexpress.com/i/4000585955107.html.

Jack E/NJ

• William_mk2
    William_mk2 ACE Posts: 4,167 Pathfinder
    Username83

Since it is out of warranty, please contact local store or

Go to the website support.acer.com - chose your country.   On the new page - scroll down -  Click on  "Repair My Acer" - Request to have your Acer product repaired.   There will be charges for repair. 

Additional info to contact Acer Store:  Please visit the website - support.acer.com - chose your country - click on shop.   You can buy desktop, laptop, monitor and accessories.  Alternatively,  on the top right corner you can find the phone no to contact Acer store.   For the parts which are not available on Acer store, you have to contact local store.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi Username83,

Try to do power drain,

1. Turn OFF the unit.
    2. Unplug the charger. 
    3. At the bottom there will be a tiny pin hole with battery sign close to it take a pin or paper clip and insert into it hold that button for 20-30 seconds. Then turn ON the unit and check.​

• Username83

Tinkerer

I found what is causing the problem and its my keyboard. As long as I am pressing a key (any key) the computer staying running just fine. I found this by accident so I decided to check the Acer community and it appears others are having the same issue. Some say replacing the keyboard will fix the problem others say its only a temporary fix. Either way it seems to be a common problem for the Aspire A515-51G and the A517-51G laptops.  My fix for now is  toothpick wedged in my Cap Locks key to hold it down. Got this trick from another user having the same problem.

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/931869#Comment_931869
  • JackE
    OK. Thanks for this report. What happens if, instead of pressing and holding a key, you press firmly downward with your palms in the areas encircled below so as to press the base cover harder against the top cover?

Jack E/NJ

• If your motherboard has this connector, you can replace the keyboard with a backlit one:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JackE

I think the problem may be related to the safety interlock switch, not due to lack of a KB backlight.

Jack E/NJ

• @JackEIt would be interesting for the user to check this button:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :)