Sound stopped working on Acer Nitro 5 AN515-55

Options
Userperson
Userperson Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited June 2021 in Nitro Gaming
Last night, I was watching a YouTube video and went to go to the bathroom for a few minutes. When I got back to my laptop and hit play on the YouTube video, there was suddenly no sound. I checked to see if the video I was watching or the sound on my laptop were muted, and no they were not. I even cranked my volume up to 100% and there was still no sound. This is strange because the sound was working just a few minutes ago and suddenly I am no longer hearing any sound. I even tried restarting my laptop, turning my laptop off and turning it back on again and still the sound is gone. Does anyone know what might be the cause of this?

EDIT: I am using an ACER Nitro 5 AN515-55 Laptop

Best Answer

• Userperson

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Options
    Okay, I think I've managed to figure out the sound issue on my laptop, now. I'm not sure if this will be the same solution for you, plauntie, but it may be worth a try.

What I did was that I went to my "Update & Security" tab on my settings, and once there, I clicked on "View optional updates". Below the "Driver Updates" bar, I checked all the "optional" Realtek updates and restarted my laptop. The next thing, poof, my sound started working normally again.

It was still annoying that I actually had to update this manually, though, as I have auto-updates enabled on my PC. Apparently though, these were considered "optional" updates... Hopefully this will work for anyone else that may have the same sound problem.

Answers

• Userperson

Tinkerer

Options
    I think I should have mentioned this as well, but I also tried testing the audio and I get this error message. I'm not sure if this may have anything to do with the sound issue:

• plauntie
    plauntie Member Posts: 3 New User
    edited June 2021
    Options
    HI! I got the exact same problem with mine! I was watching a documentary, paused and left to use the battery. Next thing I know, I saw my screen saying there was an error and windows is fixing it and restarting. As it did, suddenly there were no speakers or headphones detected. Tried to factory reset my laptop, but still nothing. And it literally happened last night (06/26/2021). 
  • plauntie
    Options
    Also, I'm using the same model of the laptop: Acer Nitro 5 - (AN515-55-54Q0)
  • Userperson

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Options
    Okay, I think I've managed to figure out the sound issue on my laptop, now. I'm not sure if this will be the same solution for you, plauntie, but it may be worth a try.

What I did was that I went to my "Update & Security" tab on my settings, and once there, I clicked on "View optional updates". Below the "Driver Updates" bar, I checked all the "optional" Realtek updates and restarted my laptop. The next thing, poof, my sound started working normally again.

It was still annoying that I actually had to update this manually, though, as I have auto-updates enabled on my PC. Apparently though, these were considered "optional" updates... Hopefully this will work for anyone else that may have the same sound problem.
  • Wavez
    Wavez Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    plauntie said:
    HI! I got the exact same problem with mine! I was watching a documentary, paused and left to use the battery. Next thing I know, I saw my screen saying there was an error and windows is fixing it and restarting. As it did, suddenly there were no speakers or headphones detected. Tried to factory reset my laptop, but still nothing. And it literally happened last night (06/26/2021). 
    The same thing is happening to me, I have an Acer Nitro 5 - (AN515-55-53AG) even the test tone isn't working as well. I feel like I've tried almost everything, troubleshooting the audio, changing the default audio, resetting the laptop, and downloading all the optional updates to fix it and nothing has worked. Is there any possible way to fix this issue? 
  • plauntie
    Options
    Hi! So yeah, my fiance did the same thing and fixed the issue. He had to downgrade the software and said to just wait and see for the new update if it will be fixed. He turned off my automatic updates just so I won't accidentally click on anything. 

However, every time my laptop sleeps the sound doesn't work again. I have to restart my laptop or shut it down every time. It gets annoying, but it's what's working at the moment!

Thanks, Userperson!

Hope yours doesn't do the same as mine!

Userperson said: