TPM module be installed into this computer Acer ATC-105-UR10 boat anchor because it WON'T run Win11

NickfromPA
NickfromPA Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited November 2022 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops
So I found out today my  Acer ATC-105-UR10 with 8 gigs of RAM running Windows 10 will eventually be a boat anchor because it WON'T run Windows 11.  Thanks Acer!  This is last Acer I will ever buy if I can't fix this!

So the BIOS didn't show me anything about TPM, which I guess is the problem.  

Can a TPM module be installed into this computer?

My motherboard is this: Acer Aspire TC-105 (P0)

When I got into the BIOS it said Version 2.15.1236 at the very bottom

Any suggestions?  When I was shopping for this PC I looked at Acer or ASUS.  I chose Acer because they said they would have a DVD recovery disk that I could order when they were ready.  Then they said well we are never going to have one.  Thanks for misleading me Acer!

And would you THINK they would have a motherboard MANUAL online?  Nope!

I would appreciate any help.
[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Best Answer

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    I grabed an image of a replacement board from ali express :) An Ace should be able to confirm as well as they have access to the service manuals (one day i may be able to for you haha!) There is also the chance that the TPM requirement is dropped for home users before its launch or in a few years :)

Linux is great! its differnt but not as hard to use as it use to be for general internet use with Distros like Ubuntu and Fedora having most stuff pre installed and easy to use stores for other apps :)

Answers

• Leostat
    Looking at the board it doesnt look like it has an internal header for a TPM, but you may be able to get quite a cheap USB TPM in a few years or so time when more people start having a need for one :) (I wouldnt buy now as the prices of them just sky rocketed). Windows 10 has untill at least 2025 to be supported by, and if 7 is anything to go by a few cheaky years after that!
  • NickfromPA

Tinkerer

edited June 2021
    Where did you "see" the motherboard?  I couldn't find ANYTHING!

Tell you one thing though.  Acer I won't deal with.  I should have bought the ASUS.  And Microsoft, they are starting to tick me off.  Why not insist on a physical upgrade of your computer every 2 or 3 years?  We're all made of money right?  Thanks Microsoft.  

But all these computers.  I wonder what THEY will be running if Windows 10 will be gone and Windows 11 will be VERBOTEN?  Maybe Linux?  Sure by that time they will be falling apart anyway.  

It's just that Microsoft DANGLES this free piece of CAKE (Windows 11) and says OH NO you can't have any go buy a new computer.  
  • Leostat
    Answer ✓
    I grabed an image of a replacement board from ali express :) An Ace should be able to confirm as well as they have access to the service manuals (one day i may be able to for you haha!) There is also the chance that the TPM requirement is dropped for home users before its launch or in a few years :)

Linux is great! its differnt but not as hard to use as it use to be for general internet use with Distros like Ubuntu and Fedora having most stuff pre installed and easy to use stores for other apps :)
  • HAVE you checked if there is a tpm chip installed here?

@NickfromPA
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,679 Trailblazer
    As shown, the motherboard is configured with a TPM header, but not populated with a TPM module. (#7 on the diagram):
    That particular bus is a LPC (Low Pin Count) bus as shown in the block diagram:
    So the question is, did anyone make a TPM 2.x module for that header? I don't believe Acer did, though it's possible they did for other models of the same vintage. Time for some heavy duty Googling... :)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • NickfromPA

Tinkerer

I think I may just wait and buy a new computer.  Although I will NEVER BUY and Acer product in my life again.  They made promises they didn't keep and their support always SUCKED.  I was looking at ASUS or ACER and I picked the wrong one!
  • NickfromPA

Tinkerer

billsey said:
    As shown, the motherboard is configured with a TPM header, but not populated with a TPM module. (#7 on the diagram):
    That particular bus is a LPC (Low Pin Count) bus as shown in the block diagram:
    So the question is, did anyone make a TPM 2.x module for that header? I don't believe Acer did, though it's possible they did for other models of the same vintage. Time for some heavy duty Googling... :)
    Thanks for your help though.  I think when Windows hits end of life I would have been buying a new computer anyway.  Just never an Acer!
  • I still think it's possible to connect a tpm chip:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • NickfromPA

Tinkerer

I believe you. But when I checked the processors the CPU isn't on Microsoft's list of acceptable CPUs.  I guess Microsofts needs to spur sales of Windows 11
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,679 Trailblazer
    I believe it's more a case of Microsoft being tired of supporting old systems, since they don't actually charge for a W11 update. They used the TPM module requirement since the systems with that included hit along with the 8th generation chipsets, or around 2017. So, they won't have to support older than 2017 models with W11 and only have to support even older machines for five years or so when the last W10 build goes out of service. Right now I have machines from 2006 running W10 and those will be 20 years old when support finally goes away for good.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • xzeroraidx
    xzeroraidx Member Posts: 1 New User

yo you dont need a tpm module for windows 11, you can just bypass the detection and install it on anything, idk if you already solved your prob but if not message me and ill show you how

• ChrisSz
    ChrisSz Member Posts: 1 New User

RE: ...you can just bypass the detection and install it on anything, idk if you already solved your prob but if not message me and ill show you how

How? :-)

I have several Acer AXC-603-UR2C that works just great for the kids...