How do you know which bios update is correct TC-885-UA92 ?

Joebnc
Joebnc Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

On Acer site using SSID I get 6 options for Bios updates. How do I know which is correct? Chasing a problem with TC-885-UA92 freezing up..?

Answers

• What version of the bios appears under SYSTEM INFORMATION?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Joebnc

Tinkerer

I believe it is the R01-C3, but I also believe I updated it when I bought the computer (I am not home right now). I was going to going back to the old original bios to see if that corrected the problem.

All of my other desktops have been by another manufacturer. When they had a new bios out - it was recommended to install it. I have been reading here and many say not to update bios on an Acer.
  • Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    I've always thought that the latest version, contained all the previous updates but I could be wrong. To go back to the original version, you cn do a F9 to go to the factory default then a F10 to save. I think ?

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi Joebnc,

Check the dates created install the latest one. 
  • According to the acer website, these are the release dates:

So your model probably came with the R01-B3 or R01-B4 bios version.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @Joebnc

Yes, get the latest one , R01-C3, that is the one that I have now.
  • ttttt said:
    @Joebnc

Uhm?! No. I believe the R01-CX versions are for mainboards with different revisions.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Joebnc

Tinkerer

ttttt said:
    @Joebnc

Uhm?! No. I believe the R01-CX versions are for mainboards with different revisions.

How do you actually find out??
  • ttttt
    @egydiocoelho

I had this R01-C3 BIOS with my TC-885-UA91 for eleven months and everything seemed fine with it.

@Joebnc

The R01-C3 BIOS update has an Appendix folder. Three methods to update the BIOS are included in the folder. Be sure to read the instructions and follow that carefully when updating BIOS. The Windows 10 update method is the easiest one, just a few clicks away. Try this method if possible. If you still having problems booting up to Windows, then you may try the other method(s).
  • Joebnc

Tinkerer

ttttt said:
    @egydiocoelho

I had this R01-C3 BIOS with my TC-885-UA91 for eleven months and everything seemed fine with it.

@Joebnc

The R01-C3 BIOS update has an Appendix folder. Three methods to update the BIOS are included in the folder. Be sure to read the instructions and follow that carefully when updating BIOS. The Windows 10 update method is the easiest one, just a few clicks away. Try this method if possible. If you still having problems booting up to Windows, then you may try the other method(s).

That is what I have. I must have updated it when I first got the computer.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,439 Trailblazer
    The BIOS version is very unlikely to be the cause of your problem. What exactly is happening?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    R01-C3 is the latest BIOS for your TC-885-UA92.

If you need to order your factory recovery media from Acer, please see link below.  (don't forget to backup any of your important personal files before using the recovery media).  Good luck!

USA link

https://store.acer.com/en-us/extended/recovery

Canada link

https://store.acer.com/en-ca/extended/recovery/
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Larryodie
    JordanB: Have you are anyone ever  been successful with the Acer FactorY Recovery USB ?

I am told that it only runs if your computer has completely crashed otherwise. 
    You'll get this error when trying to use it " So I boot it then when, I do the Check Image Status...THE ONLY OPTION available.
    I get
     ERROR CODE 262150
     NAPPHDD.EXE  
    Auto Check Failed
    Please Contact The Developer"

My opinion is that it is worthless excep as I'm told by support that you get a completely blue screen, but I have doubts that it'll boot if you do, 

Do an ALT- F10 or ALT-FN-F10 to recover or make your own USB recovery disk and a system repair dvd plus a systems image on an external hd.

I really believe that the ACER Factory Recovery USB is a SCAM, unless someone tells me that it has booted and executed.
  • JordanB
    edited June 2021
    @Larryodie

I've used a USB recovery drive that I've created with the Acer Care Center app.  It always works great.  Not a scam.  Also used Alt+F10.  That works fine too.  Generally if you get yourself in to a real mess, you'll want to use a USB recovery drive.  I create my USB recovery drive with a USB flash drive like this one using the Acer Care Center app.  It's the very first thing I do when after I take the computer out of the box for the first time.

https://community.acer.com/en/kb/articles/73-create-a-usb-recovery-drive-using-acer-care-center

I've never actually ordered or used a USB recovery drive from the Acer Store because I always remember to create one myself. 

You could always use the Microsoft Media Creation tool to get the free Windows 10 from here if you no longer have the Acer Care Center app.   

Some people might find it easier/convenient to order recovery media from Acer (not free)

• ttttt
    @JordanB

I just wonder if the  factory recovery media from Acer is it the same as the repair disc created by Win 10, or is it something more powerful than that ?
  • Larryodie
    edited June 2021
    It must be more powerful as it doesn't run if it sees system files (PER ACER SUPPORT), when it does a " Check  Image Status" and bombs with  ERROR CODE 262150
     NAPPHDD.EXE  
    Auto Check Failed
    Please Contact The Developer".

The Created ACER Support USB is similar to ALT-F10 or (ALT-FN-F10) as I remember. 
  • JordanB
    edited June 2021
    @Larryodie

You should start a new topic and list your computer model.

@ttttt

I'm just not sure about the official Acer recovery media that you buy from Acer.  I've never used it.  I have to assume you just boot it and click on something and it automatically restores your PC to factory condition.  It would have the ability to automatically wipe your drive and repartition it etc..at least on Windows 8, 8.1, 10 machines.

I consider the USB recovery drive that you create with Acer Care Center to be fully functional.  It can do anything and everything that you would ever need (or I should say anything and everything that I would ever need).

However, the repair disc that you create after you've created a system image backup is something entirely different.  It just contains tools and the recovery environment...and not the actual backup image.

Now there was some older Windows 7 machines that were a little fussy about using the recovery media.  Some older Windows 7 machines didn't like it if the partitions had been altered or D': drive had been altered so you had to wipe the HDD with "diskpart clean" before you could use the recovery media, but Windows 7  is a relic and thing of the past and not worth mentioning.

• @JoebncCan you report the problem that is occurring?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• ttttt
    @Billsey and @egydiocoelho

@Joebnc has the problem that the TC-885-UA92 will freeze. First we thought the BIOS wasn't up to date, but that can be ruled out as he is having the latest BIOS.
    Later on he did a clean Win 10 install as suggested by me. It seemed to work initially but the PC freeze again after left idling overnight. Originally thought to be a software problem seemed to turn to the hardware side.
  • ttttt
    @Joebnc

Have you checked the Device Manger to see if there is any questionable items? I suspect that you overlooked some driver problems, since you do not use your TC-885 that much.