Maximum storage for A514-52-396B

Kevinne
Kevinne Member Posts: 27 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
I am planning to upgrade my laptop, RAM and STORAGE. I would like to ask what is the MAXIMUM STORAGE for this unit? Both SSD & HDD.

This is the profile of my unit: https://www.acer.com/datasheets/2019/4876/A514-52/NX.HMGSP.002.html

Thank you in advance!

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,426 Trailblazer
    Hi,
    You can upgrade the M.2 SSD up to 1TB, 2TB may work but I haven't seen anyone got it installed, as for the HDD, you can upgrade up to 2TB in the HDD bay.
    Acer Aspire A514-52 Performance Results - UserBenchmark
  • Kevinne
    edited July 2021
    Hi,
    You can upgrade the M.2 SSD up to 1TB, 2TB may work but I haven't seen anyone got it installed, as for the HDD, you can upgrade up to 2TB in the HDD bay.
    Thanks but how do I know what kind of SSD do I put in the M.2 slot of this unit? I am not all that familiar, sorry.

Also, can I upgrade the default 128 GB SSD? The one where the OS is and how did you know that the MAXIMUM STORAGE was only 2GB for HDD and 1GB to 2GB for the M.2 SSD?

Thank you! 
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,426 Trailblazer
    Kevinne said:
    Hi,
    Thanks but how do I know what kind of SSD do I put in the M.2 slot of this unit? I am not all that familiar, sorry.

Also, can I upgrade the default 128 GB SSD? The one where the OS is and how did you know that the MAXIMUM STORAGE was only 2GB for HDD and 1GB to 2GB for the M.2 SSD?

Thank you! 
    No problem, you can use a M.2 NVMe SSD, other users have installed 1TB M.2 SSD in this model, so it's safe to go up to 1TB, the maximum size of 2TB is suggested by Acer.
    Yes, you can upgrade the 128GB to a larger M.2 SSD, use Macrium reflect to make a backup of 128GB SSD image on an external HDD, create a bootable USB disk, then replace the 128GB drive with a larger SSD, boot with the USB recovery disk and recover the image you have created earlier on to the new drive.
  • Kevinne
    Kevinne said:
    Hi,

Thank you! 
    No problem, you can use a M.2 NVMe SSD, other users have installed 1TB M.2 SSD in this model, so it's safe to go up to 1TB, the maximum size of 2TB is suggested by Acer.
    Yes, you can upgrade the 128GB to a larger M.2 SSD, use Macrium reflect to make a backup of 128GB SSD image on an external HDD, create a bootable USB disk, then replace the 128GB drive with a larger SSD, boot with the USB recovery disk and recover the image you have created earlier on to the new drive.
    Thank you again but another question rises up. I am looking at what an "M.2 NVMe SSD" is and I noticed something. It has "Gen" in it, I would assume it's called "Generation". There are 2 kinds, Gen 3 and Gen 4. Which one do I go with?

Also, can I go beyond 2TB for the M.2 SSD and the HDD?

Thanks!