xz342ck doesn't automatically wake up when I switch my KVM switch from one computer to another

Options
Dickory13
Dickory13 Member Posts: 1 New User
I have my xz342ck monitor plus wireless keyboard and mouse connected via a KVM switch (ezcoo) to a Dell Precision 5520 running Linux and a Windows 10 tower PC.  When I switch the KVM switch from the Windows machine to the Dell, I hear the Windows sound indicating the USB devices have disconnected, the screen goes black, but then nothing.  The monitor (NOT either PC; they are both configured to never go to sleep while on AC power) goes into sleep (the blue LED turns red), and it just won't wake up automatically.  I've often left it for hours and it never wakes up on its own.  I can only get it to display by some repeated wagging the mouse / pressing the keyboard cursor keys / waking up the monitor by toggling the joystick.  I have not determined a specific sequence that causes the monitor to wake up; I just keep repeating the mouse/keyboard/monitor joystick operations, and eventually (often minutes later), the monitor wakes up and shows the computer's display.  It's definitely taking WAY longer than the claimed 3 second wake up time from power saving mode.

An additional observation is that when toggling the joystick when it is in this state, the OSD does not activate.  Sometimes, 5-10 seconds later, it gives the display select OSD, but not the OSD with the "menu" option.

The same thing happens when I switch back from the Linux laptop to Windows.  I hear the audio when the Windows computer recognizes the USB devices, but the display just doesn't show until I fiddle with the cursor keys / mouse / monitor joystick.

Any suggestions?  It seems like the computers are seeing the HDMI display go away so they stop trying and the display sees the computer not trying so it sleeps.  Is that possible?  How do I get it out of this catch-22, especially without having to interact with the monitor joystick?  That's why I got the KVM switch, so that switching between computers would be one button press.

If there is some computer setting, like "never turn off the HDMI output even if no monitor is detected", I'm willing to try that.