Boot from the 3.0 USB ACER XC-605 PC

Options
CloroxWipes1
CloroxWipes1 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited June 2021 in Legacy Desktops
I have an ACER XC-605 PC. I have attempted to clone 2TB HD using EZ Gig IV USB wire and software to a 2 TB SanDisk SSD.  I received a successful clone message from the software, swapped out the drives, and the newly cloned SSD failed to boot.  Repeated process the times, same blue screen error:  0xc000000e, winload.exe corrupt or broken.

Keep in mind, the original HD boots fine, swapped it back in, still does.

My challenge is that all on-line resolutions indicate I should utilize the Windows Recovery program to sort out and resolve the issue...but it won't boot at all past BSoD.

So I made a boot recovery disk via the onboard USB 3.0 onto a 128Gig USB stick.  I turned computer back on, got to BIOS, changed boot order to USB first, SSD second, saved and expected the boot recovery disk to load and operate, and ... bupkiss ...same BSoD with same message.

Overall question, is my Acer XC-605 preventing the boot of recovery from the USB, or is the cloning process of the SSD, which according to software went perfectly, being corrupted somehow through the cloning process through the USB?  In summary, is there something about the XC-605 that is preventing this cloning process?

Probably not, but at this point, I am out of answers for what should have been a very simple process.

Thanks,

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options
    Nope, they have you climbing the wrong tree... The issue is likely the cloning process not making the right choices as it creates the partitions on the new drive. Look at the partitioning on the original drive, there should be an EFI partition that's only about 100MB in size. There is likely a Recovery partition that's around 500MB in size. There should be a really big system partition just under 2TB in size, and finally likely another recovery partition that's closer to 10GB in size. When the cloning happens if it resizes anything other than the system partition it can break the boot. Look deeper into the clone software's help and see what's needed to get it to do it right (I use Macrium Reflect most often, so don't have the proper steps in EZ Gig IV handy).
    On to your question... Likely you still have Secure Boot enabled in the BIOS menus. To properly boot from a USB drive you need to have Secure Boot disabled and the F12 boot menu enabled. Put your USB drive in, save and exit the BIOS menu then hit the F12 during POST, before Windows tries to load. That should give you a menu with all boot points displayed, not just the signed ones for your system.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.