is there speed rate for cat 5 cable port?

mrsmarie
mrsmarie Member Posts: 1 New User
My ISP is telling me that the cable port for my cat 5 cable will only allow 100 mbps - it is connected to their fiber internet wifi router that is supposed to allow upload and download speeds of 1 Gig? Does this make sense?

Answers

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    On which device :)? Most computers will with gigabit ports , as they are just the standard now even if it's a cheap device. 

You can check this under either device manager which should have the name of the network port, or in the network settings, if you right click the ethernet adapter and head to properties I believe that there is information about the current and max link speeds supported (sorry of that's slightly wrong I'm on mobile at the moment and will confirm later)

When you say cart 100mbps is the max speed for that cable, you would need to use a Cat6 or cat5e cable to be able to negotiate gigabit speeds. Cat5e in theory should support negotiation at gigabit but it is more flakey than Cat6. Does the ethernet cable have any markings in it to suggest which it is?