ACPI Driver For Windows XP Installation? - Aspire TC-710

AlexSlater1234567
AlexSlater1234567 Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Hello! 

I was trying to install Windows XP on a separate partitioned drive, for a 64-bit one.  My device is the "Aspire TC-710", and I ran into some trouble.  I got the standard 0000000A5 error that it requires the Power Management driver or something.

I looked it up, and I found that I have to download it, however I couldn't find it on the drivers list for Acer's site.  I have understanding of the lower level of the machine, as I am a programmer :D.  Does anybody know where I can find this driver, and if it will still be possible to set up Windows XP?  And is there a way to run it from the desktop, without making the driver into a bootable isc/USB drive?

I tried pressing F7 in the starting load sequence, but it merely just brought me to a little button menu with my processor type, etc.  It was skipping past that usual text error like it said it would, but it still brought me to it again.

Any ideas?  Help would be greatly appreciated!

//Edited the content to add model name.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,439 Trailblazer
    There are no XP drivers, and especially no XP 64bit drivers for that new of a computer. It was never designed for XP, since it originally was released in the W10 era.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • AlexSlater1234567

Tinkerer

edited June 2021
    billsey said:
    There are no XP drivers, and especially no XP 64bit drivers for that new of a computer. It was never designed for XP, since it originally was released in the W10 era.
    That is wrong.  XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX!

[Thread edited to remove inappropriate or personal content]
  • Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    In a Vm would probably be the only way to get it to play, as billsey says drivers really are not back ported to xp now
  • AlexSlater1234567

Tinkerer

Leostat said:
    In a Vm would probably be the only way to get it to play, as billsey says drivers really are not back ported to xp now
    I know.  However if it helps, there is a user on this forum that did help with a similar question some years back.  I'll link it here:

I just need to know which ACPI driver is for my machine model is all.  I do have the full ID number of the computer also, I forgot if it was called SID or SNID or something.

It would be of very great help!  It's just a simple power management software that was made in 1999, and then updated in 2000 to be used for different operating systems.

• Leostat
    edited June 2021
    So that post is talking about the chipset, for an intel processsor which is supported by the operating sytem. Thoese drivers come from the  Intel who don't release chipset drivers for XP anymore :( the last chipset to support windows xp was lga1155 which I think was the Intel 2x00 series 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_1155#:~:text=Along with selected variations of,the pads on the processor.

Its that old and un supported intel dont even host it anymore! The latest i can find is this one
    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22586/Intel-Chipset-Device-Software-for-Windows-XP-for-Legacy-Intel-NUC

You could try using that chipset bit I have a feeling it wouldn't work. ACPI is just a driver, but it's not the 'same' driver as from 1999 , the entire system has to support it as part of the legacy boot option. For many years now legacy boot has been phased out as it's so clunky and holds everything else back. The driver has to control everything from the PCI lanes to the power levels and suspend state so supporting XP just isnt feasible

What are you trying to achive in XP? The only option may be to virualise it
  • AlexSlater1234567

Tinkerer

edited June 2021
    Leostat said:
    So that post is talking about the chipset, for an intel processsor which is supported by the operating sytem. Thoese drivers come from the  Intel who don't release chipset drivers for XP anymore :( the last chipset to support windows xp was lga1155 which I think was the Intel 2x00 series 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_1155#:~:text=Along with selected variations of,the pads on the processor.

Its that old and un supported intel dont even host it anymore! The latest i can find is this one
    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22586/Intel-Chipset-Device-Software-for-Windows-XP-for-Legacy-Intel-NUC

You could try using that chipset bit I have a feeling it wouldn't work. ACPI is just a driver, but it's not the 'same' driver as from 1999 , the entire system has to support it as part of the legacy boot option. For many years now legacy boot has been phased out as it's so clunky and holds everything else back. The driver has to control everything from the PCI lanes to the power levels and suspend state so supporting XP just isnt feasible

What are you trying to achive in XP? The only option may be to virualise it
    I'm not so sure how to answer, as I can tell you haven't graduated Computer Science or any related program.  XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX, and is in no way showing you are up to date with the modern technology world laid down since 1985.

Windows XP is always the better operating system, it's tried and tested for years; and has much more available support than any of the modern ones do.  I'm not sure what else to say, XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.  XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX, and XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.  I don't want to be stuck in the middle of it, XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.  However I will do everything I can to make sure the members XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX end as best I can.

The other support is apalling.  I have not received one thanks for helping the others with their problems, and he even posted over me, some unformatted XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX someone is asking for tech help.  I will not stand for someone that doesn't even want to begin ATTEMPTING to help.  XXXXXXXXXX
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX, and there is XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.

And just the point when I got a bit agitated, is "So that post is talking about", that is not how you begin a post; nor is it what that actual post was talking about (?).

Not sure how this is going to get solved, but this place is not a true programmer's OR gamer's hangout.  XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.

• Leostat
    edited June 2021
    Great good luck with finding the driver then 👍, you are correct in that I do NOT work for acer. As a heads up the Acer staff have Acer- in their name. The ACE's I think get a few goodies from time to time as well so i guess they are compensated but not legal employees, and then people like me just hang around to help out on my commute.

If you would like assitance with getting a vm set and playing up then drop me a line, either through simply windows, vmware and booting into XP, or via KVM and using a Linux thin boot to bootstrap windows XP and pass through the PCI devices to make devices availble, or if you are London based can go for a pint, elsewise good luck getting it to work. Was just trying to help out and, sorry i wasnt able to in this instance.

• AlexSlater1234567

Tinkerer

edited June 2021
    No one here by the looks of it works for Acer, including the ones that made this website.

It's a XXXXXXXXX.  And I'm gonna make sure this gets to the higher-ups for XXXXXXXXXXXX.

This discussion has been closed.