Aspire TC-865-NESelecti5OPT DT.BARAA.003 CPU UPGRADE

Hey all, I was wondering if anyone with this computer or a similar one has ever upgraded the CPU. Intel claims the B360 chipset is compatible with some 9th Gen processors and I would like to upgrdade to a 9th gen core i9.
I found out on Reddit that Acer does have a BIOS for the board which enables compatibility. A few redditors did say that even if it is possible to install the 9th gen i9's I would burn up the VRM or the board would throttle the speed.
Any insight into this is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Answers

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi b0yinterrupted,

I think you can't upgrade the CPU processors but let's wait other to answer. 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,439 Trailblazer
    The TC-895 motherboards support the Coffee Lake-S processors (8th gen). It doesn't support the Coffee Lake-R processors (9th gen) officially so trying to move between generations are at your own risk. The CPU cooling handles 65W TDP stock so if you try go go with a hotter CPU you will have to upgrade the cooling to support it. So, i7-8700 is OK, i9-9900 is iffy and at your own risk, but both should work with stock cooling, since they are both 65W chips.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • b0yinterrupted
    b0yinterrupted Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

billsey said:
    The TC-895 motherboards support the Coffee Lake-S processors (8th gen). It doesn't support the Coffee Lake-R processors (9th gen) officially so trying to move between generations are at your own risk. The CPU cooling handles 65W TDP stock so if you try go go with a hotter CPU you will have to upgrade the cooling to support it. So, i7-8700 is OK, i9-9900 is iffy and at your own risk, but both should work with stock cooling, since they are both 65W chips.
    Thanks man. I don't want to burn it up for sure. Yesterday I maxed out the 32 GB of RAM, put in a 1TB SSD and a case fan. Got the performance boost I was looking for.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,439 Trailblazer
    Good job, the SSD is often the biggest and best upgrade. :)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • deanerino
    deanerino Member Posts: 3 New User
    My Acer TC865 came with an i5-9400  added NVMe Kingston SA2000