Predator XB273GP RTX3080ti strange issue...

Options
Zorlac
Zorlac Member Posts: 6 New User
Firstly, I'm not sure it's the MONITOR's fault here, but I'm at my wits end trying to find a solution.
After replacing my card with a 3080ti, coming form a 2080 ti, the following issue occurs on my aforementioned monitor:  During post (after restart)  The monitor does not communicate with the graphics card UNTIL I'm splashed on my windows homescreen.  I CANNOT enter bios, which is a real problem.  I must disconnect display port, and use HDMI in order to get a "normal" restart with bios entry option.
This issue does NOT occur with the 2080 ti.

I've reset the monitor many times, updated, reinstalled graphics drivers, bios, and everything else i could think of in the past week. Replacing cables, reinstalling windows 10, downclocking the monitor to 60hz, lower res, SAME ISSUE CONTINUES.  I've posted on the ASUS Z590 HERO board, as well as Nvidia. Nothing has helped yet.   Hoping an expert here can enlighten me.

thanks for any replies...

Answers

• Zorlac
    Options
    I forgot to mention, I also own the predator XB271HU monitor, and with BOTH cards, the 3080ti AND the 2080ti I have NO ISSUES.  Both instantly have the blue light, I can enter bios, overclocked or not.. they post normally.
  • NoseHonker
    NoseHonker Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Options
    I experienced the same issue when I upgraded my 2070 Super/Predator Z35P to a 3080 Ti/Predator X38.  Like you, I am also on an Asus board, though an earlier Z390-A.  The common factors are the Asus motherboards, the 3080 Ti cards, and the Predator monitors.

Try pasting the following into your favorite browser:

Solved: Asus Prime Z390-A Boots with VGA LED on and error code

You should get a linustechtips hit at or near the top and I found some helpful information on that page.  (sorry, seems this forum will not allow posting of external URLs as I could not post with the direct link).

While specific to the Z390-A motherboard, it doesn't seem too far a stretch that other Asus boards could exhibit the same behavior due to the DisplayPort version.  This likely won't solve it completely, but it is another avenue you could explore.

Personally, the work-around did not completely do it for me for a number of reasons.  I've ended up leaving the X38 connected to the 3080 Ti via DisplayPort and, if I ever need to enter the BIOS (which is infrequent at this point), I simply plug an HDMI cable into the HDMI output on the motherboard's I/O panel, then cut back over to the 3080 Ti and DisplayPort when I'm done.  Inconvenient, yes, but I can live with it.  The biggest annoyance for me is the bright white LED illuminated on my motherboard because the BIOS thinks there is a video issue.  I may have to resort to a small piece of electrical tape for that one...   :/
  • Zorlac
    edited June 2021
    Options
    thanks for the reply sir.  I too have done the dual cable "hot swap" to enter my bios, but it's a pain in the *****.  My ONLY solution to this was to enable CSM in the bios. For some odd reason with this monitor, Compatibility Support Module activates the 3080 ti, and i'm able to boot normally.  The DOWNSIDE is I cannot utilize RESIZEABLE BAR.  A feature that I want, and I paid for.  My "workaround" is OK for now, but it's simply not right.  CSM should NOT have to be activated with a properly installed UEFI windows 10.   The Z590 Maximus Hero board NEEDS another bios update. I'm on the 0902 BETA now, but it didn't help.  MAYBE, someone at Nvidia can also investigate whats happening to me and MANY others I see during web searches.  I find it hard to digest that a cutting edge 3080ti won't function normally with ANY monitor without bios support module. As if the card was made in 1985 or something...

I also researched that linus tech tip post. I've done all that the OP said already, to no avail.  
  • NoseHonker

Tinkerer

Options
    I experienced the same issue when I upgraded my 2070 Super connected to a Predator Z35P to a 3080 Ti connected to a Predator X38.  Like you, I am also on an Asus board, though an earlier Z390-A.  The common factors are the Asus motherboards, the 3080 Ti cards, and the Predator monitors.

I found some helpful information on this thread:
    Solved: Asus Prime Z390-A Boots with VGA LED on and error code - Troubleshooting - Linus Tech Tips

While specific to the Z390-A motherboard, it doesn't seem too far a stretch that other Asus boards could exhibit the same behavior.  You could try following the work-around mentioned to see if it works on your hardware combination.

Personally, I've left the X38 connected to the 3080 Ti via DisplayPort and, if I ever need to enter the BIOS (which is infrequent at this point), I simply move the DP to the output on the I/O panel, then back to the 3080 Ti when I'm done.  Inconvenient, yes, but I can live with it.
  • NoseHonker

Tinkerer

Options
    Zorlac said:
    thanks for the reply sir.  I too have done the dual cable "hot swap" to enter my bios, but it's a pain in the *****.  My ONLY solution to this was to enable CSM in the bios. For some odd reason with this monitor, Compatibility Support Module activates the 3080 ti, and i'm able to boot normally.  The DOWNSIDE is I cannot utilize RESIZEABLE BAR.  A feature that I want, and I paid for.  My "workaround" is OK for now, but it's simply not right.  CSM should NOT have to be activated with a properly installed UEFI windows 10.   The Z590 Maximus Hero board NEEDS another bios update. I'm on the 0902 BETA now, but it didn't help.  MAYBE, someone at Nvidia can also investigate whats happening to me and MANY others I see during web searches.  I find it hard to digest that a cutting edge 3080ti won't function normally with ANY monitor without bios support module. As if the card was made in 1985 or something...

I also researched that linus tech tip post. I've done all that the OP said already, to no avail.  
    I am still searching for a solution, too.  If I make any further progress, I'll post it here.  Completely agree with you about enabling CSM in the UEFI...  that step should not be needed.

Apologies for all the redundant posts - not sure if that was a browser cache issue or what.
    MODERATORS please feel free to remove duplicate posts.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,962 Trailblazer
    Options
    I've pointed the duplicates out to the moderators, they should clean them up soon... :)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • NoseHonker

Tinkerer

Options
    #billsey, thank you!

#Zorlac, I can't believe it but I finally had some time to search, try a few things out, and I was able to solve the issue.  Finally... no more VGA light on the motherboard, I only have one DisplayPort cable running from my 3080 Ti to the monitor, I see the UEFI splash screen and can enter the config menu, or leave it all alone and boot to the O/S.  Whew!

The steps I followed were disturbingly simple and made me wish I understood what the UEFI is doing and why it worked.  Here are the steps that finally cleared the VGA light for me:
    1. Power down completely, turn off (or unplug) PSU, and removed the 3080 Ti entirely.
    2. Connected the DisplayPort cable to the Monitor and to the output on the I/O panel to force using Integrated GPU.
    3. Power on and enter UEFI
    4. Update GPU setting to "Auto" (I had it at PCIe to try to force it on previous fix attempts).
    5. Save and reboot.  Allowed to boot to Win 10 login screen.
    6. Logged into Windows.  Didn't do anything other than shut the computer back down.
    7. Powered off PSU again and reinstalled the 3080 Ti.
    8. Removed the DP cable from the port on the I/O panel and inserted back in the 3080 Ti.
    9. Powered everything back on and...  no VGA light, I can see the UEFI splash screen, and life is back to normal.
    Again, I have no idea why yanking the card, booting without it, then reinstalling it worked.  But whatever the reason...  it did and no more VGA light.  Best of luck and hope you have just as much success on your Z590 board.
  • Zorlac
    Options
    I'd freakin LOVE to try this, BUT...my 500 dollar high end super duper HERO board does NOT have display port onboard. ONLY hdmi.  unbelievable. 
  • NoseHonker

Tinkerer

Options
    Zorlac said:
    I'd freakin LOVE to try this, BUT...my 500 dollar high end super duper HERO board does NOT have display port onboard. ONLY hdmi.  unbelievable. 
      :-(

Maybe try the process anyway.  I suspect it probably has more to do with allowing the system to go through a complete boot cycle with only the integrated GPU than whether we're using DP or HDMI, but who knows since the whole thing is pretty mysterious.  You could substitute HDMI for DP is step 2, then in step 8 remove the HDMI cable completely and connect the DP from the reinstalled 3080 Ti to your monitor.  If you do decide to give it a shot, let us know if it worked.  Good luck.
  • Zorlac
    Options
    thanks so much for the suggestion, as I did just try it.  NO go unfortunately.  A new bios update just released for my board today!  No joy.   Maybe it's the bios on the founder's 3080ti?   I give up.  CSM it is.
  • Zorlac
    Options
    TRIED SEVERAL OTHER EVENUES YESTERDAY, NO JOY. Even tried the 3080 ti with 3 different monitors..  The ASUS XV279q, the Predator Z321QU, AND the Predator XB271HU, just to make sure I wasn't missing anything... ALL 3 monitors successfully shook hands with the 3080ti with CSM disabled. I was able to enter bios, and they all booted quickly and normally.   I'm guessing a monitor issue?  Would that explain the vga white light on the board though??