Acer Aspire One AO-751H-52Bk ---> Replacing Motherboard with faster CPU, graphics and more RAM

Lado
Lado Member Posts: 2 New User
Hi,

I was given an old Acer Aspire One AO751H-52Bk. The netbook looks almost as new, but very slow. It comes with 2 GB RAM DDR2 667 MHz, slow CPU. Have installed the SSD HD, but it is still slow on CPU, RAM, graphics.

Is it possible to replace complete motherboard with one with better CPU (i5 or similar), better graphics and possibility to upgrate with more RAM ?

I know that the computer is old and obsolete, but I think that it is still worth of investment for some basic operations.

Tks

//Edited the content to add model name.

Best Answers

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,761 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    That laptop only has Z520 CPU and maximum ram of 2GB DDR2. It is mostly impossible to upgrade. 
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,679 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    The case and motherboard are designed to fit each other, and don't match other laptops, so there's not much that can be done. If you are going to use it anyway, make sure you have a 32bit OS installed, it'll be less of a load on that system.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,761 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    That laptop only has Z520 CPU and maximum ram of 2GB DDR2. It is mostly impossible to upgrade. 
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi Lado,

It is one of the old model 2 GB RAM is max for this unit so AnhEZ28 said you can't upgrade it. 
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    The case and motherboard are designed to fit each other, and don't match other laptops, so there's not much that can be done. If you are going to use it anyway, make sure you have a 32bit OS installed, it'll be less of a load on that system.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Lado
    Lado Member Posts: 2 New User
    Many tks,
    Considering Your advice, I will stop looking around for upgrade. 

P.S.: To explain what is all about. In the last 15 yrs I took couple of desktops and notebooks (some were mine), upgraded/formated/ installed basic software and later given to the kinds in the Brazilian countryside. So this was my intention for the Acer netbook. I am already preparing the HP Pavilion with same intentions.

But nevertheless, many tks.
  • billsey
    Yeah, I do the same thing for people around here. It got real busy at the start of the Covid-19 crisis, since so many kids needed to do their schooling remotely, and so many families didn't have computers. I ended up giving away a half dozen laptops that were just sitting around to help out. Often there aren't reasonably inexpensive upgrades available, but if the end user is just going to be using Zoom and web browsing 10-15 year old laptops are still quite usable.