Laptop can't connect to external monitor via USB-C hub - Acer Aspire 3

tiroxsteel
tiroxsteel Member Posts: 1 New User
edited June 2021 in Aspire Laptops

Hello I have an Acer Aspire 3 Intel Core i5 11th Gen and I'm wanting to connect my laptop to an external monitor via a Dell USB-C hub which then connects to the monitor via VGA. When I insert the hub I'm displayed with "PC isn't charging, use compatible charging methods". I am not charging my laptop via USB-C. I am wanting to connect my laptop to my external monitor. When I insert the hub, no drivers are updated in the device manager. I rebuilt the laptop twice on Windows 10, updated the BIOS, ran diagnostics via BIOS all passed, ran support assist and everything is up to date. I have tried multiple connections via the hub like DisplayPort and HDMI and it is still displayed with the PC not charging and I have also tried different hubs which all display the same error. Am I missing something?
Could someone please help!

//Edited the content to add model name

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,818 Trailblazer
    You probably need to use an active USB-to-video converter, not a passive USB-to-video connector adapter, since most USB-C ports are data-only or charge other device. They don't natively support video output without an active converter. What is your full A3 model number? For example, A315-42? Then we can confirm what type of USBC port you have and the type of converter you need.

Jack E/NJ