5560g show “operating system not found”

Danny5252
Danny5252 Member Posts: 4 New User
Hi, my laptop 5560g keep showing “ operating system not found” after I reboot. I pressed F2 to go to utility setup, wanted to change the uefi to legacy mode. But boot mode not available. Please advice 

Answers

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    legacy mode isnt available on laptops anymore, the main bios change which does it is intel VMD or RST / optain. 

Is it just on reboot, or is it not booting at all?
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,775 Trailblazer
    Press and hold power button till machine shuts off. Then turn it back on and immediately start tapping the F2 key to enter the BIOS menu. Please post a phone photo of the BIOS Information tab if possible.

Jack E/NJ

• Danny5252
    edited June 2021
    Hi Leostat, I have rebooted many times but problem still persist. I did tried to boot up from a USB flash,  all I could see is only C drive. I tried to toggle to D drive or E drive. It said drive invalid. I m not sure if my HDD is faulty. 

Hi JackE, I have attached a screen shot of the bios info.

//Edited the content to hide sensitive information.​
  • JackE
    If you can access the C : \  directory and its subfolders containing personal data with the boot stick, I suggest that you try to copy/xcopy personal files onto a USB stick ASAP. This type of budget SSD without a DRAM cache is notorious for boot failures like this and may not be recoverable without risking data loss. So it's best to try to get whatever you can off the drive before trying to repair it.   

Jack E/NJ

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,432 Trailblazer
    Danny5252 said:
    Hi, my laptop 5560g keep showing “ operating system not found” after I reboot. I pressed F2 to go to utility setup, wanted to change the uefi to legacy mode. But boot mode not available. Please advice 

Firstly this can't be fixed with pressing of just one key, please be clearer what OS you are running? Is it Win-10, 8 or 7? If it's Win-10 then use these “4 Ways to Enter Safe Mode on Windows 10” to be able to fix your problem(s). Then look at the following fixes of "Operating System Not Found" that can be diagnosed and fixed with doing the following, so look at that as one of these fixes will reinstate your OS and drive: 

1. Check BIOS - Press and hold "F12/F10" to enter BIOS
    2. Reboot from a bootable disk - Press and hold "F10" and press "Power"
    3. Set BIOS to default settings - Find BIOS and enable the default setup option
    4. Rebuild MBR using cmd - Insert the Windows installation USB or CD/DVD

Btw and if the above doesn’t work? Then remember that your Aspire 5560G’s BIOS is an MBR/Legacy BIOS as can be seen in your BIOS “Boot” section and to get an installation drive you have to construct that within a computer that has an MBR/Legacy computer BIOS and not a GPT/UEFI BIOS for it to work.

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi Danny5252,

Check is your unit is in Win 10 S mode in the settings.
  • Danny5252
    Hi Easwar,
    Yes, it was win 10 S mode. Well to be honest, the problem started after when i did an upgrade from win7 to win 10. The win 10 was working for a week. But i found that the boot up is very slow. So i did a disk cleanup to remove some temp and unwanted files. Then after i rebooted my laptop and now it is at this state "operating system not found". :(

When i bootup from a USB stick, it only detect the USB drive. Harddisk drive not detected. I am not sure if my HDD is faulty. 
  • JackE
    edited June 2021
    If you can access the C : \  directory and its subfolders containing personal data with the boot stick, I suggest that you try to copy/xcopy personal files onto a USB stick ASAP. This type of budget SSD without a DRAM cache is notorious for boot failures like this and may not be recoverable without risking data loss. This SSD is actually more prone to failure and not much faster than a garden variety HDD with decent size DRAM cache such as WD is now producting in 1TB capacities for under $50.. So it's best to try to get whatever you can off the SSD before trying to repair it.  

Jack E/NJ

• Danny5252
    Hi all,

The problem has fixed. The root caused was my HDD corrupted. I replaced a new HDD and my laptop is up and running now.

Thank you so much for all your valuable inputs and advise. 
  • JackE
    Thanks for reporting back on the fix.  :)   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi Danny5252,

Good to know thanks for your information. It will be useful for many people. ​