Can't get XC-830 to boot from an SSD

BulldogDBWS
BulldogDBWS Member Posts: 4 New User
Had my XC-830 for a couple months as a backup PC/media server, decided to upgrade the OEM HDD (a WD 1Tb which has less than 120gb used) to an SSD (a Crucial BX500 480gb) to improve startup/response times. Cloned the HDD to the SSD (using Acronis), disconnected the HDD and installed/connected the SSD, but when I start up the XC-830 it's not seeing the SSD at all, either in BIOS or boot manager. Doesn't seem to be any settings in BIOS that I can change that would affect things. BIOS is the latest version, according to the downloads page for the XC-830. Have also tried with a spare Crucial MX500 1tb, same fail to boot. I've also done a VM replica of the clone from the BX500, and that runs fine in VirtualBox on my main system (a custom build) so it shouldn't be a cloning failure. Acer's own support haven't bothered to reply to any emails or contact attempts. Something locked out in the system settings/BIOS that needs changed? I'm open to suggestions to get this working.

Answers

• Is the ssd showing up here?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • BulldogDBWS
    No it doesn't show up in BIOS at all :/
  • Can you upload a photo of this tab?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • BulldogDBWS
    Sure, but I will have to reinstall the SSD again. Not connected just now 'cos I needed it running as a media server and hooked the HDD back up.
  • BulldogDBWS
    Got it working!

This was the 17th attempt at this, I gave up after 16 attempts before my first post. I did everything exactly as before, and this time it DID show in the Advanced tab, but not in the Boot Options tab.

In the Boot Options tab for 1st Boot Device the choices were Windows Boot Manager, CD&DVD, Removable Device, LAN and Disabled. Leaving it set to Windows Boot Manager just took me to the Choose An Option screen again. I chose "Use a device" this time, and just for lols thought I'd try "Windows Boot Manager", thinking it would take me back to this screen again like it's done before. No, this time it booted from the SSD. Restarted, booted fine. Shutdown/startup, booted fine. Yay! Now the only problem I've got is mounting the f'in SSD in the case securely, tried a 3.5" to 2.5" caddy, holes don't line up or screws don't fit, so ended up using Command picture-hanging strips to fix it in place =)  B)

XC-830 now goes from power-off to fully-loaded desktop in around 50 seconds, compared to 5 minutes on the old HDD.

Thanks for your replies anyway, egydiocoelho, got it done in the end.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,432 Trailblazer
    Duct Tape is always appropriate at that point. :)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Nicklim
    Nicklim Member Posts: 1 New User
    Got it working!

This was the 17th attempt at this, I gave up after 16 attempts before my first post. I did everything exactly as before, and this time it DID show in the Advanced tab, but not in the Boot Options tab.

In the Boot Options tab for 1st Boot Device the choices were Windows Boot Manager, CD&DVD, Removable Device, LAN and Disabled. Leaving it set to Windows Boot Manager just took me to the Choose An Option screen again. I chose "Use a device" this time, and just for lols thought I'd try "Windows Boot Manager", thinking it would take me back to this screen again like it's done before. No, this time it booted from the SSD. Restarted, booted fine. Shutdown/startup, booted fine. Yay! Now the only problem I've got is mounting the f'in SSD in the case securely, tried a 3.5" to 2.5" caddy, holes don't line up or screws don't fit, so ended up using Command picture-hanging strips to fix it in place =)  B)

XC-830 now goes from power-off to fully-loaded desktop in around 50 seconds, compared to 5 minutes on the old HDD.

Thanks for your replies anyway, egydiocoelho, got it done in the end.

Hello, sorry for disturb, i still can get it, 
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @Nicklim,

Just exactly what is your question?

You can click the green "Ask a Question" button at upper right hand corner of this page and start your own topic.