Acer E5-476g CPU max frequency at 20% without throttle and battery not charging

mordox
mordox Member Posts: 8 New User
These happened randomly at the same time after turning the laptop on and I dont know what caused it

My CPU's max frequency has been stuck at 20% and do not go beyond that which makes basic functionalities slow, and at the same time the battery has not been charging when plugged in(the indicator says plugged in but not charging)

Acer Care Center and other application say that the battery is good (with around 40% wear level)

I have tried the following methods:
-Check the temperatures to see if it is throttling (it does not)
-Set power plan to maximum performance
-Set intelPPM to 4 which does increase the CPU limit but does not fix the slowness
-Change the power adapter
-Reset the battery
-Remove and reseat the battery

both of the problems still persists after the methods
I need help ASAP since I use this laptop for my studies and can't use it properly

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,775 Trailblazer
    Open Device Manager. Click batteries folder. Right click and uninstall ALL drivers you find in this folder. Then exit Device Manager without reinstalling. Then open Control Panel. Search 'button'. Click 'change what the power buttons do' in left. Click 'change settings that are currently unavailable'. Scroll down and uncheck the box for fast startup if not already unchecked. Shut down Windows normally. Then turn it back on again.

Jack E/NJ

• mordox
    JackE said:
    Open Device Manager. Click batteries folder. Right click and uninstall ALL drivers you find in this folder. Then exit Device Manager without reinstalling. Then open Control Panel. Search 'button'. Click 'change what the power buttons do' in left. Click 'change settings that are currently unavailable'. Scroll down and uncheck the box for fast startup if not already unchecked. Shut down Windows normally. Then turn it back on again.

hello, CPU max frequency is still 20% and the battery still isnt charging after trying your solution
  • JackE
    Go to the elevated command prompt.  Enter 'powercfg /batteryreport'. Then return to the desktop. Open file explorer. Then search for' battery-report.html' in the c:\windows\system32\ sub-folder. Double-click to open it in the browser. Post screenshot of the first part of the report if possible that compares design full charge capacity with its remaining full charge capacity. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• mordox
    JackE said:
    Go to the elevated command prompt.  Enter 'powercfg /batteryreport'. Then return to the desktop. Open file explorer. Then search for' battery-report.html' in the c:\windows\system32\ sub-folder. Double-click to open it in the browser. Post screenshot of the first part of the report if possible that compares design full charge capacity with its remaining full charge capacity. Jack E/NJ

hope that this screenshot is good

• JackE
    >>>battery has not been charging when plugged in(the indicator says plugged in but not charging>>>

With the machine turned off, preferrably overnight, does the battery charge LED ever turn from steady orange to steady blue?

Jack E/NJ

• mordox
    JackE said:
    >>>battery has not been charging when plugged in(the indicator says plugged in but not charging>>>

With the machine turned off, preferrably overnight, does the battery charge LED ever turn from steady orange to steady blue?
    I havent charged it overnight but I have charged it for extended periods of time at idle without turning blue
  • JackE
    "At idle" is not a good test if the lid screen is on. If you mean "sleep mode" with the lid screen off and if the battery charge LED never turned solid  blue in sleep mode, then the battery pack probably has a large self-discharge leakage. It should be replaced. This might partly explain why the battery pack has lost about 50% of its original design capacity.

Jack E/NJ

• mordox
    JackE said:
    "At idle" is not a good test if the lid screen is on. If you mean "sleep mode" with the lid screen off and if the battery charge LED never turned solid  blue in sleep mode, then the battery pack probably has a large self-discharge leakage. It should be replaced. This might partly explain why the battery pack has lost about 50% of its original design capacity.

Yeah, I have tried both of what you said about the battery LED. I'll try to replace the battery when I can
    I'll post here for any updates.
  • JackE
    OK. Please let us know the result. Thanks Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• mordox
    UPDATE
    I was able to replace the battery but now it says that the battery is not detected while at the same time, saying that it is 100% charged
    And when I remove the power cord, the laptop just shuts off instantly

The CPU is still stuck at 20% maximum frequency (0.399ghz) which is honestly a bigger problem since  I can't do my work effectively

at this point I think my only options are to replace the motherboard or buy a new device since I can only guess that it's a hardware problem afaik

welp thanks anyway

• JackE
    >>>These happened randomly >>>

Do you also mean that this was an intermittent problem? That sometimes it seemed to fix itself?

Jack E/NJ

• mordox
    JackE said:
    >>>These happened randomly >>>

Do you also mean that this was an intermittent problem? That sometimes it seemed to fix itself?
    Oh sorry no, I meant to say that THIS happened randomly and I never encountered the same problem then
  • JackE
    >>>I was able to replace the battery but now it says that the battery is not detected while at the same time>>>

Does the old  battery also give 'not detected' now?

Jack E/NJ

• mordox
    JackE said:
    >>>I was able to replace the battery but now it says that the battery is not detected while at the same time>>>

Does the old  battery also give 'not detected' now?
    Yep it does