Aspire E5-473G PCI Simple Communications Controller and SM Bus Controller Code 28 after SSD Upgrade

spponcian
spponcian Member Posts: 3 New User
edited June 2021 in Aspire Laptops

Device Specs: Acer Aspire E5-473G Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz

I replaced the original HDD with a new Sandisk SSD Plus. After installing Windows 10 through a flash drive using Media Creation Tool 21H1, I found that the drivers for PCI Simple Communications Controller and SM Bus Controller were not installed (Code 28). Windows Update could not find compatible drivers and there are no pending restarts.

• Since then, I have tried using Intel Driver & Support Assistant, but it says that my drivers are up to date.

• I have also tried running SFC (repairs were made but the problem still exists) and DISM (the DISM version appears to be older than the image version; no repairs were done/needed).

• Incidentally, Code 28 for WD SES Device also appears with these two devices under "Other Devices" in Device Manager if I plug in my external WD drive despite being able to access files inside it.

• Also, during my several attempts of troubleshooting on Devices and Printers, I was directed to restart the computer (drivers were still not installed). On my last attempt, the troubleshooter indicated that Windows Update was configured to never install drivers. I found this quite worrying as I did not ever configure that on my side.

• Incidentally, It turns out that my sister's laptop (Lenovo) has exactly the same problem; a common aspect is that we both had the original HDD replaced with the same brand of SSD.

Please see the device instance paths below.

• PCI SCC: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9CBA&SUBSYS_096A1025&REV_03\3&11583659&0&B0

• SM BC: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9CA2&SUBSYS_096A1025&REV_03\3&11583659&0&FB

Moreover, I tried using Intel CSMEVDT and received the following risk assessment:

According to Intel:
Q: My system is reported as may be Vulnerable by the Intel CSME Version Detection Tool. What do I do?
A: A status of may be Vulnerable is usually seen when either of the following drivers aren't installed:
Intel® Management Engine Interface (Intel® MEI) driver, or
Intel® Trusted Execution Engine Interface (Intel® TXEI) driver
Contact your system or motherboard manufacturer to obtain the correct drivers for your system.

...which leads me to this forum.

While I can use the laptop problem-free, I can't help feeling bothered. Is there anything that I can do on my own to resolve this problem?

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,773 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Download and install iobit's DriverBooster freeware to see if it'll pick up anything on line.

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Open Device Manager. Do you see any red or yellow warnings? If none, go to this link .  Download and install the chipset driver to see what happens. .

Jack E/NJ

• Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • spponcian
    Thanks for the replies, JackE and egydiocoelho.

JackE Yes, there are yellow warnings for PCI SCC and SM BC. I have actually tried installing the chipset driver from the product page before posting my question. I'm not sure if that was the reason but the SM BC was gone from Other Devices in Device Manager (I guess it moved to another device category and lost its yellow warning / Code 28 status). However, PCI SCC still has Code 28 status despite attempts to reinstall it.

egydiocoelho I guess this downgrade is to force Windows/Intel DSA to update the drivers? I have installed it but PCI SCC still has Code 28 status. Intel DSA also still reports "No supported driver or software updates are available for [my] system."
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    Download and install iobit's DriverBooster freeware to see if it'll pick up anything on line.

Jack E/NJ

• spponcian
    JackE said:
    I was able to update that specific device (Intel MEI) through DriverBooster. Thanks JackE!
  • JackE
    Congrats. Thanks for reporting back on your success.   :) Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ