Stuck at 120hz Acer Nitro XV272U

Options
Excel
Excel Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited June 2021 in Monitors
I didn't know anything about the difference of using a HDMI versions and a DisplayPort versions so I just plugged in the included HDMI cable in the box and thought I could just switch my refresh rate on Nvidia control panel turns out that I was wrong. So, I did a little bit of research that I need at least DisplayPort 1.2 for 144hz 1440p resolution. I bought a DisplayPort 1.4 and now it is stuck at 120hz. What was the mistake that I did? if anybody could point it out and help me to get 144hz refresh rate.

Monitor: https://www.amazon.com/Acer-XV272U-Pbmiiprzx-Technology-DisplayHDR400/dp/B07MQBPMJ2/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=XV272U&qid=1622675140&s=electronics&sr=1-1
DisplayPort: https://www.amazon.com/ivanky-DisplayPort-Braided-Display-Compatible/dp/B078HVDMW2/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=displayport&qid=1622674970&s=electronics&sr=1-5

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,956 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Yes, the GTX 660 only does DP 1.2, which gives a maximum output of 4K at 30Hz. That is the same bandwidth as 1080p at 120Hz, so max at 1440p would be less than 120Hz. You need a different card (and likely also cable) to do 1440p at 144Hz.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• Excel

Tinkerer

Options
    I bought a 1.2 DisplayPort*
  • Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    Options
    What's the source of the display port / hdmi signal?

And Is it direct from a port or through an adapter?
  • Excel

Tinkerer

Options
    Leostat said:
    What's the source of the display port / hdmi signal?
    Could you please elaborate this? Thank you!

And Is it direct from a port or through an adapter?
    It's a direct maybe? I used a single DisplayPort 1.2 cable connecting the monitor to GPU. 

• billsey
    Options
    When in doubt, always get a better cable than the minimum. You likely should be working with a DP 1.4 cable, not the 1.2 cable. DP 1.2 is from 2010, DP 1.4 from 2016. Which GPU do you have? Is it AMD or NVIDIA?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Excel

Tinkerer

Options
    billsey said:
    When in doubt, always get a better cable than the minimum. You likely should be working with a DP 1.4 cable, not the 1.2 cable. DP 1.2 is from 2010, DP 1.4 from 2016. Which GPU do you have? Is it AMD or NVIDIA?
    I have NVIDIA.
  • Excel

Tinkerer

Options
    billsey said:
    Which GPU do you have? 
    Forgot to reply on this but I currently use a 660, planning to switch very soon. I'm guessing this is because of my GPU? because I just got my 1.4 and the highest available option that's available is just 120hz.
  • Leostat
    Options
    By any chance of there an option like color depth in the Nvidia control panel? Is there is it may be something like 10 bit, which the monitor tops out at 120hz, if you drop to 8 bit then you can get 144hz :) 
  • Excel

Tinkerer

Options
    Leostat said:
    By any chance of there an option like color depth in the Nvidia control panel? Is there is it may be something like 10 bit, which the monitor tops out at 120hz, if you drop to 8 bit then you can get 144hz :) 
    I'm really sorry.

• Excel

Tinkerer

Options
    Leostat said:
    This was supposed to be the screenshot that I was gonna show. I'm so sorry.

• Leostat
    Options
    Hmm its not that then 🤔 And im the one thats meant to be saying sorry as it wasnt that ;) My second thought is the Output range, try 8 bit with limited range 

Does the nvidia control pannel have the option for custom resolutions? It may also be possible to just tell it to do 144hz by using a custom res, you ould start at 125 and work up by 5hz untill it stops working 
  • Excel

Tinkerer

Options
    This option? if so the max is 120hz.

• Leostat
    Options
    Ah sorry no the output range is in the same bit as the color depth :) and I think the custom resolution is under change resolution
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Yes, the GTX 660 only does DP 1.2, which gives a maximum output of 4K at 30Hz. That is the same bandwidth as 1080p at 120Hz, so max at 1440p would be less than 120Hz. You need a different card (and likely also cable) to do 1440p at 144Hz.
  • Excel

Tinkerer

Options
    Leostat said:
    Ah sorry no the output range is in the same bit as the color depth :) and I think the custom resolution is under change resolution
    Thank you for trying to help! I appreciate your effort.
    billsey said:
    That made sense. Thank you solving my problem!