Does my Acer Aspire 5 A515 have soldered ram or it has free slots?

BranislavZivanovic
BranislavZivanovic Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

Recently bought this laptop - ACER Aspire5 A515-44 (NX.HWCEX.005)
I have seen on the Acer info section that this laptop supports up to 24GB RAM and the laptop came with 8GB RAM.
My question is how can I know is the RAM soldered or not? I can't open the back of the laptop because I would loose my warranty.
I found out the manufacturers and their model names.

Here is an image:

I don't understand why are the both RAM sticks on the same DIMM 0? Does that mean that they are soldered to the motherboard?
When I run CPU-Z this is the info I'm getting...
This is for Slot #1:

And this is for Slot #2 - which is strange...(it's empty?)

If anyone can help I would appreciate that very much!

Best Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 98,160 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    No, there is only one slot available. You can add another 16gb of ddr4 ram in that slot.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • BranislavZivanovic

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    No, I don't think you have two replaceable RAM slots in addition to onboard RAM, I think the PassMark program couldn't recognise the soldered RAM and that's the reason for it saying "Not populated".
    Oh okay! Thanks for helping me out, much appreciated!

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,426 Trailblazer
    Hi,
    It looks like you have a 4GB onboard RAM and a 4GB removable RAM, if you click Memory tab for Slot1, it will show 8GB total memory.

• BranislavZivanovic

Tinkerer

Hi,
    It looks like you have a 4GB onboard RAM and a 4GB removable RAM, if you click Memory tab for Slot1, it will show 8GB total memory.

I think you are right! I think this laptop has a 4gb onboard RAM(as you said) and it has two free slots for upgrade. Because in the PassMark program it says that slot #1 is populated with 4GB and the slot 2# is not populated. So my conclusion is that there's a soldered 4GB ram, and slot #1 populated with 4GB module and i have one free slot.
    Here's an image of the PassMark:

Am i right? 
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 98,160 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    No, there is only one slot available. You can add another 16gb of ddr4 ram in that slot.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • brummyfan2
    No, I don't think you have two replaceable RAM slots in addition to onboard RAM, I think the PassMark program couldn't recognise the soldered RAM and that's the reason for it saying "Not populated".
  • BranislavZivanovic

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
  • BranislavZivanovic

Tinkerer

Thanks! Much appreciated!
  • brummyfan2
    No problem  :)