new hard drive not showing in the list of boot priority order - Aspire 3 A315-22

JulianW
JulianW Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited June 2021 in Aspire Laptops
The original HDD died,and I bought a new "Seagate BarraCuda 1TB Internal Hard Drive HDD – 2.5 Inch SATA 6 Gb/s 5400 RPM 128MB Cache for PC Laptop – Frustration Free Packaging (ST1000LM048)", I could see the new HDD has been showing in the HDD1 on the "Information" tab, but it does not show up in Boot Priority Order list on the "Boot" tab. Aspire 3 A315-22

Does not any one have the answer? Thank you in advace.

//Edited the content to add model name.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,773 Trailblazer
    That's because you must first make the new drive bootable by installing Windows on it from a bootable USB installation drive. Go to this link to create a bootable Windows installation USB drive using Microsoft's media creation tool. Then insert the USB installation stick, turn on the laptop, then immediately start tapping the F12 key. A boot menu should appear to allow booting from the USB drive to install Windows on the new HDD.

Jack E/NJ

• JulianW

Tinkerer

Thank you Jack.

Yes, I do have a bootable USB for Windows 10, but after I pressed F12, it only list the USB drive, not the new HDD, and after I boot from USB, nothing happens, the laptop shutdown itself after few minutes.
  • JackE
    F2 into the BIOS menu again. Make sure the F12 boot option is turned on. And yes it should only list the bootable USB installation stick. Did you try all 3 USB ports yet?

Jack E/NJ

• JulianW

Tinkerer

Thank you. The F12 boot option has been turned on already, but after reboot, press F12, then I only see the USB HDD, then I choose USB HDD, the laptop shut down itself after about few minutes 
  • JackE
    Yes but did you try all 3 USB ports yet?

Jack E/NJ

• JulianW

Tinkerer

Yes i did.

After press F12,

Select the USB HDD, it shows the logo as below, then the laptop shutdown itself. Just curious, in the BIOS, I could see the HDD in the HDD1, it should be showing the boot priorirty order list, right? 

• JackE
    No. In new UEFI firmware, usually only WindowsBootManager will show up in the boot order. It also won't show up in any firmware boot order until it's actually bootable by installing Windows.

The immediate problem is the USB drive is not reading and loading the Windows installation environment.
    (1) What brand/size USB drive are you trying to use?
    (2) Does it have an activity LED?
    (3) Did you use Microsoft's media creation tool to prepare the USB drive from a UEFI computer?

Jack E/NJ

• JulianW

Tinkerer

Thank you for the help, I changed a new USB, it works now.
  • JackE
    Thanks for reporting back on your success.   :)    Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ