Aspire 5 headphones stopped working.

Options
GraemeJ
GraemeJ Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
edited May 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Up to now, plugging in headphones and confirming that's what I had done, everything worked perfectly.  Today, I do the same thing, but no sound from the 'phones, but it continues on speakers.  Exactly the same thing happens with a Bluetooth headset.  It recognises the device/s have been attached but refuses to play through them.  The machine is only a few months old and all the drivers are up to date - I even did a system restore in case a Windows update had screwed something up, but to no avail.

I am at a total loss to know what is causing this problem - any insight would be gratefully received.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,593 Trailblazer
    Options
    Shut the machine off. Remove charger. Insert paperclip into reset pinhole on the bottom for 30 seconds. Plug charger back in and turn it back on. Test it again.

If still no headphone sound, open Device Manager and uninstall ALL the sound drivers. Exit Device Manager without reinstalling anything. Open Control Panel. Search 'button'. Click 'change what the power buttons do' in left pane. Click 'change settings that currently are unavailable'. Scroll down and uncheck the box for fast startup if not already unchecked. Shut down Windows normally. Then turn it on and test again.

Jack E/NJ