Predator X34 GS - buzzing/crackling sound when connected with usb c

Options
Fnjo
Fnjo Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Hey,

So I got a new x34 gs yesterday and everything was fine when I connected it. I have my pc and macbook pro connected with it. So today I started hearing a weird buzzing/crackling noise coming from the monitor which appears to be happening when i'm using the usb c port which I have connected with my macbook. It's not loud but its really noticeable, like some coil whine noise. So I tried different cables and plugging/unplugging everything but nothing works and it only happens with the usb c port. When I mute the monitor speakers it gets less noisy but its still noticeable. Im guessing that the usb c input is somehow messing with the monitor speakers or something... 

Any help would be appreciated. I can return it for another one if its an issue with the monitor I guess.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,963 Trailblazer
    Options
    Do you have a different cable to try? Especially one with the EMI filters on each end... The USB-C might be generating a higher frequency noise on the cable that shows up in the sound.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Fnjo

Tinkerer

Options
    billsey said:
    Do you have a different cable to try? Especially one with the EMI filters on each end... The USB-C might be generating a higher frequency noise on the cable that shows up in the sound.
    I did try with other thunderbolt usb c cables but none of them have EMI filters. Ill try those EMI filter clip ons when I get them. Thanks for the suggestion!
  • Fnjo

Tinkerer

Options
    billsey said:
    So I bought those EMI filter clips that clips on to your cables. I clipped two EMI filters on each end of the USB-C cable but the monitor is still producing the sound. Im pretty sure the power output on usb-c port of the monitor is somehow producing the noise. Most likely a factory/qc issue
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Does the same issue occur when connecting the monitor directly to a grounded electrical outlet?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Fnjo

Tinkerer

Options
    Does the same issue occur when connecting the monitor directly to a grounded electrical outlet?
    Yes, the monitor has been directly connected to a grounded outlet the whole time
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Options
    Hi Fnjo,

Monitor self test,

1. Power OFF the unit.
    2. Unplug all the cables.
    3. Press and hold the power button for 30 seconds.
    4. Turn ON the unit and check.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,963 Trailblazer
    Options
    Yeah, it sounds to me like it's time to contact Acer support. There is noise coming in from somewhere...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Xeron
    Xeron Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I have the same problem. Seems like either insufficient shielding from usb-c power output affecting speakers, or coil whine (also related to usb-c power output). Problem goes away if I connect my laptop to the external power supply.
  • winejug
    winejug Member Posts: 5 New User
    Options
    Just wanted to report that I have the same issue with the X34GS if QC from Acer is watching these forums. I'm not sure if it'll be enough for me to send it back, but it is a problem. Ultimately, I think the PBP abilities or lack thereof will be the deciding factor for me.