Computer freezes completely when streaming through Prime or Netflix - Predator G1-710

Options
Browncoat1984
Browncoat1984 Member Posts: 5 New User
edited May 2021 in Predator Desktops
Hello, I have an ACER Predator G1-710 with a Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080 running the latest Nvidia drivers v 466.67 and I am having a problem where when I try to stream something like Prime or Netflix, my screen will flash and then my entire computer will freeze and I will have to do a hard reboot of the system. This has been going on for quite some time and it doesn't seem to matter whether I use a browser or if I use the native desktop app no matter how I stream it always does that. Does anybody have any ideas?

//Edited the content to add model name.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options
    Will it play local videos, or does it freeze when not streaming as well? If it works with local content then we're likely looking at a network problem, if it freezes with local content than it's more likely to be the video codec.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Browncoat1984
    Options
    It only freezes when streaming (Prime, Netflix, Hulu, HBOMax, etc) and it doesn't matter if I try streaming in a browser like Firefox or using a native app. I can, however, stream youtube no problem at 4k. It does not freeze at all when doing anything else - I can play many games at 1080p-4k high resolution settings with no problems (been playing Mass Effect Legendary Edition at 4K and Kingdom Hearts Final Mix HD at 4k with no problems) 
  • Browncoat1984
    Options
    I should also state that I have both Plex and Emby for streaming personal media and I don't have any problem with either of those.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options
    OK, so no problem with apps that generate their own video, such as the games, or with YouTube streaming, but commercial streaming apps and websites do have the problem. It might be that your provider is throttling those sites (it doesn't matter if you use a browser or an app, they both get their content from the same servers). It might be the DRM built into those streams is causing the issue. I doubt it's an overall bandwidth issue or else YouTube would be affected as well...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Browncoat1984
    Options
    I don't think my Internet is being throttled, I have an unlimited data plan and have no problem streaming through my fire tv stick or through the roku apps on my TV that I have my PC hooked up to, its just streaming through windows.
  • Browncoat1984
    Options
    Update: what I have found out after further experimentation is: I uninstalled the Nvidia display drivers using the display driver uninstaller utility. Then rebooted my computer. When I got back into windows with no display drivers installed I booted up prime and netflix and everything was fine. No screen flash, no freezing. I then downloaded the latest Nvidia drivers, did a clean install, rebooted my computer, changed my computer back to 3840 X 2160 and tried running Netflix and Prime and I got the freeze. When I switched from 4k to 1080p I then loaded Prime and Netflix and everything ran fine. So it seems the problem is running my desktop at a 4k resolution the streaming apps don't like that...why would that be?
  • Mora2371
    Mora2371 Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Options
    Is this your problem?