Laptop headphone jack not working (Acer Aspire 5 A515-51)

Options
SteffiK
SteffiK Member Posts: 3 New User
A few days ago, the audio jack on my laptop suddenly stopped working. There's no crackling or distortion, it's like it doesn't even recognize that I've plugged anything in at all. 

I have tried the troubleshooter about a dozen times and it hasn't identified any issues since I can only troubleshoot the speakers, which are still working fine. Attempting to update my drivers also hasn't done anything (it claims to have the most recent one installed). I've tried using compressed air in the jack, switching headphones, even just turning it on and off, but nothing seems to be working. I've tried a few other things regarding the software as well, but I honestly can't remember them all.

Any suggestions?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,603 Trailblazer
    Options
    Plug headphone in. Right click speaker icon in tray. Click sound settings. Click sound control panel in right pane. Click playback tab in the box that pops up. Do the headphones show up with or withou a green  checkmark?

Jack E/NJ

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Options
    Hi SteffiK,

Do you have any other headset to test with this unit. 
  • SteffiK
    Options
    JackE said:
    Plug headphone in. Right click speaker icon in tray. Click sound settings. Click sound control panel in right pane. Click playback tab in the box that pops up. Do the headphones show up with or withou a green  checkmark?
    The headphones do not come up at all, even when I choose to show disabled devices

Easwar said:
    Hi SteffiK,

Do you have any other headset to test with this unit. 
    I have tried it with several other headsets and none have worked. Unfortunately, I attempted to use wireless headphones, which did work, but now I cannot get my sound to play through the speakers either. It will only play though the wireless headphones, even when I disconnect them.
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>The headphones do not come up at all, even when I choose to show disabled devices>>>

Do the laptop speakers show up in sound control panel with the BT headphones disconnected? You may have to enable them again with the green check.

Jack E/NJ

• SteffiK
    Options
    JackE said:
    >>>The headphones do not come up at all, even when I choose to show disabled devices>>>

Do the laptop speakers show up in sound control panel with the BT headphones disconnected? You may have to enable them again with the green check.
    They do, and I'm not sure why but my speakers are now working again. The headphone jack still is not working however.
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Options
    Hi SteffiK,

There may be some issue in the ports. Try to update USB and Ports drivers,

COM ports Windows 10 fix any COM port issues in 2 easy ways
  • JackE
    Options
    Your audio jack is designed for a modern PC or OMTP trrs (4-element) headset plug (headphone+mic), not a trs(3-element) headphone only plug. Some older headphones & cheaper earphones/buds have plugs which are too short or don't full engage the slide connectors inside the audio jack. You should try a headset.

Jack E/NJ

• blindkrypto
    blindkrypto Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

Options

I am facing the same issue , If you found any solution please tell me

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,758 Trailblazer
    Options

When you use the correct phone plug (see JackE comment above) recognized by your laptop you should get a Windows popup with a selection "What are you inserting?" If you don't see that popup, try another type of plug till you get the prompt.