Can I charge my Aspire 5 A515-54-51D with a USB-C cable?

NeonNobility
NeonNobility Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited June 2021 in Aspire Laptops
so the port for my power plug on my Aspire 5 isn't working properly, which is to be expected from a cheap laptop I bought on short notice, so I was wondering if the USB-C port on this model can be used for charging. The model number is A515-54-51DJ

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Answers

• rich1974
    rich1974 Member Posts: 198 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    why don't give it a try?
    and by the way, having the charging port damaged is not something "to be expected", even for a cheap laptop. a charging port is not rocket science.
  • NeonNobility

Tinkerer

I mean, the computer chassis is clearly cheaply-made
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @rich1974

Normally the USB type-c port has more power output than other USB ports. Even the older USB 2.0 ports can be used to charge low demand cellphones. I did that all the time years ago. 

USB 3.0 and Type-C ports still will charge but slower than wall outlet chargers, that is why I don't use the ports from the PC to charge my phones now, but sometimes still will do it for the sake of convivence .
  • rich1974
    rich1974 Member Posts: 198 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    you did not get it! we are not talking about charging other devices, we talking about charging laptop itself using that usb-c port. like charging laptop with a usb-c phone charger.
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @rich1974

I don't know how it can charge itself. Let me know if it works.
  • NeonNobility

Tinkerer

edited May 2021
    I am talking about charging my laptop with a USB-C output laptop charger, please read the question properly.

I can't try this right now though because I'm not wasting money on a charger just to find out it doesn't work
  • Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    I don't think it does support power in, usually it has it in the manual under the usb c features ( page 11) if it does but it isn't listed I'm afraid
  • NeonNobility

Tinkerer

I don't have the manual to a computer I bought nearly 2 years ago, sadly. I suppose this is a learning experience
  • Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    Thats fine :D i just like to post the referance and that way its easier to find in the future :)
  • djorborn
    djorborn Member Posts: 3 New User
    Has anyone tried this yet?
  • NeonNobility

Tinkerer

djorborn said:
    Has anyone tried this yet?
    Apparently not, because I am still waiting for an answer and the USB-C charger I attempted to buy literally didn't have a USB-C output, thanks Amazon