Acer A315-53-52GL Aspire One Netbook. A0531h-odk

Jetski2
Jetski2 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited May 2021 in Aspire Laptops
I was wondering if I can run Windows 10 Home on this old netbook? I have upgraded the Ram from 1G to 2G and swapped the HDD for a SSD. I have tried to load Windows 10 but I keep getting the message "Media Driver Missing?" Any help would be most appreciated! Thank you!!   

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,366 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    It would certainly have to be the 32 bit in order to get any performance (visualize an old single speed bicycle climbing a steep hill). Microsoft doesn't officially support the Atom processors in Windows 10, and specs say you are maxed out if you have 1GB of memory in that model, so I'm surprised you got 2GB to work. I'd be surprised if you hadn't gotten at least some driver issues like the Media Driver thing. If you can figure out which actual hardware it is you might be able to install the XP version using compatibility mode. All in all it's going to be a lot of work, fur very little return. Try and find a laptop that's a little newer...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    Answer ✓
    It would certainly have to be the 32 bit in order to get any performance (visualize an old single speed bicycle climbing a steep hill). Microsoft doesn't officially support the Atom processors in Windows 10, and specs say you are maxed out if you have 1GB of memory in that model, so I'm surprised you got 2GB to work. I'd be surprised if you hadn't gotten at least some driver issues like the Media Driver thing. If you can figure out which actual hardware it is you might be able to install the XP version using compatibility mode. All in all it's going to be a lot of work, fur very little return. Try and find a laptop that's a little newer...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Jetski2
    Jetski2 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Hi Billsey, Thanks for your reply. I do actually have an Acer A315-53-52GL laptop which is a couple of years old & nice and fast so I'm not relying on this old netbook for my internet needs but this old Acer Aspire One netbook is small and convenient to move about. Would be a shame just to throw it in the bin. All I want it to be able to do is surf the internet on my travels. Thanks again for your help.. 
  • billsey
    Try one of the light versions of Linux. Some of them are designed to work on really old, slow systems. For just a browser you don't need a lot of bells and whistles.