Acer Predator 15 - G9-593-71EH - Won't turn on - Not sure what to do next

Options
envrmntl
envrmntl Member Posts: 2 New User
Hello,

I have an Acer Predator 15 - G9-593-71EH (N15P3) that is nearly four years old.

Recently it shut down and I am no longer able to turn it back on.

The battery is fine; it was replaced not too long ago. The port where the A/C adaptor plugs into is fine; I replaced it with a new one but it still won't turn on.  The A/C adaptor is also fine, the laptop won't turn on with either one that I have.  It does not appear to be the switch that needs to be held down on the motherboard - I used to have trouble with that occassionally, but even manually holding it down, the laptop won't turn on.  I've tried holding down the battery reset button for a while with a paper clip.  I've also tried holding down the power button for 60 seconds.  No luck with any of these things.

The C drive is made up of two 128GB M.2 SSDs, configured in RAID-0 by Acer - not good, I know.

Unfortunately, I do not have a complete backup of the C drive and would like to retrieve all of the data - my backup didn't have everything.

Since the disks are configured in RAID-0, you can't just take them out, put them into a USB enclosure, and get the data.

QUESTION: Would I be able to buy the EXACT model laptop, take out the two drives from my laptop, put them in the new (likely used) laptop, and be able to boot up and retrieve the data, or is the RAID-0 on my drives somehow tied to my current laptop?

My options at this point seem to be:

$950 for Acer Laptop Repair (would hopefully work)
$1500+ for advanced RAID-0 data recovery attempt (may not work, even my local repair guy can't do it)
$1450 for a new (used) one (asking above)

All of which are expensive.

The laptop is under warranty for another few months with Allstate.  They've fixed it once before for other issues.  They require I sent the hard drives in with the laptop, but I don't want to do that in case the laptop is lost in transit or they can't fix it and send a new laptop where I'll lose my drives.

QUESTION: If I take out the two drives, buy some cheap M.2 drives on eBay, send the laptop into Allstate to be repaired with those new drives, when I receive the fixed laptop, could I put my drives back in and everything be back to the way it was, or will putting in new drives somehow mess up the RAID-0 data on the original drives?

Any help on what to do is most appreciated!

Answers

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Options
    @envrmntl

If I were you , I'll go for the the Allstate repair route to avoid big repairing cost. Why not? You paid for the insurance, and it is still under warranty!
    The biggest problem is probably your personal data on the laptop will be exposed to outside people. You did that before anyway. Now it is the matter of doing it again.

What do you mean by " in case the laptop is lost in transit or they can't fix it and send a new laptop where I'll lose my drive"? The USPS and UPS are reliable in general, and there is such thing call "Insurance" from them, just paid little more money for insurance in comparison with repairing cost.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Before removing the two ssds and running the risk of losing the files, replace the rtc battery: https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/753579/#Comment_753579
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Options
    Hi envrmntl,

Are you getting any light indication when charger is connected.
  • envrmntl
    envrmntl Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    UPDATE! Thank you all for your suggestions.  After reading through all of your comments, I decided to go the Allstate Repair route. They were able to repair the laptop by replacing the motherboard and a few other components.  It's good to know that with the Acer Predator 15 - G9-593-71EH, if the C drive is configured in RAID-0 and the motherboard is replaced with the same model, the data on the RAID-0 drives (assuming they are in good shape) will be accessible. All of my data is now set to back up daily to an external drive.

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Options
    Hi envrmntl,

Good to know thanks for updating us.