Why I returned my Nitro 5 AN55-55-78 to the store

wiktor_k
wiktor_k Member Posts: 6 New User
edited May 2021 in Nitro Gaming

Hello. 

I tested AN55-55-78XJ with RTX 3060 for 2 weeks and I return it to the store. Why?
The only thing that ***** me off were the fans. And it was not about the fact that they turned on frequently when nothing really happen (but I think the activation threshold at 40 degrees is definitely to low!).

But the problem was something else. In addition to the fan noise which is normal, the fans emitted silent but hearable tone at frequency related to the speed. For high RPM there was it was roughly 8 kHz, but at lowest RPM it was annoying 1 kHz. I don’t know if the emitted tone was the result of air turbulence inside the housing, but I would rather blame PWM control of the speed of the fans. Probably not everyone is bothered by this, but there are some who hear it and it is horrible. Previously, I had a VN7-591G and there was no such strange problem.

Now I'm looking at Predator Helios 300. But what if the Helios uses the same cooling with hearable PWM fan control?
Can these extra unwanted sounds, heard when the fans are running slowly, be somehow easily eliminated by Acer in the future?

Why did such a good laptop get such bad cooling. Do they have deaf engineers in Acer?
Here is what I'm talking about:
https://vocaroo.com/1dtd3gep81Me

The Nitro and Predator series are pretty well constructions and I would like to buy them again in the future!

Thread was edited to add model name to the title