Black screen after memory upgrade - please help Acer Aspire A315-22 cant find a solution

Ajp2020
Ajp2020 Member Posts: 3 New User
I have done a search and can't find answers to this question raised by some others so posting again.
Almost new painfully slow- Aspire A315-22, Model Name: A315-22 481v, Part Number: NX.HGFEK.001
BIOS version - Pheonix technologies Ltd V1.09, 15/05/2020, SMBIOS version 3.0, BIOS mode UEFI, baseboard product - Rose_SR, version V1.09
Windows 10 64 bit OS, processor AMD A4
Memory info from task manager below (can't understand why it states 933 Mhz though)

As per search online including the crucial website and Mr. Memory it has a factory built in soldered 4 GB memory slot which currently has a Hynix Hyundai Form factor 12, speed 1866, width 64, type detail - 16512, 2666 Mhz 260 pin SDRAM SODIMM, bus type 21300. Maximum RAM Capacity 12 GB.
It has a free slot, so I purchased a Crucial 8GB DDR4 2666 mhz SODIMM 1.2 v CL 19 (part no. CT8g4Sfra266.M8FRS), followed instructions - unplugged laptop, removed outer cover, removed battery connector, touched large grounded metal radiator to avoid static, (1x free slot as expected), no dust at all - connectors are clean as laptop is new, carefully slotted the RAM in, well seated and clicked in.
Also pushed on the battery reset button just to discharge any more static.
Switched back on and can only see a black screen, no blink, no beep, no  text messages on screen, can hear the hard drive and the fan running, but nothing on the screen except black.
If I remove the RAM module, the laptop works fine on the factory soldered 4GB RAM and the screen comes on.
Thinking it was a damaged RAM - returned it to the store twice (Mr. Memory has been very kind and understanding) and tried 2 other brand new similar RAM modules - but the same black screen.
Any advise on whether there is a work around this before I return the RAM back to the store - if they will take it back.
I am not a complete novice and have upgraded ASUS and Mecer laptops in the past, so can understand some of the IT speak.
Any advise will be gratefully received.
THanks

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,775 Trailblazer
    The DDR4 RAM actually communicates with the CPU at the mainboard's 933MHz bus speed. However, because it sends two data packets of information to the CPU at each cycle instead of one as in the old single data rate RAM  it acts like an 1866MHz RAM or double the data rate  (that's where DDR acronym comes from) of the 933MHz mainboard. But it's actually only running at 933MHz.

DDR4 ram can sometimes be sensitive to mixing the soldered RAM with replaceable RAM. While the modules you tried should work, often they don't. Here's a list of the 8GB  modules that were actually tested to play well with this model,   The 3200MHz Micron is actually Crucial.

Jack E/NJ

• Ajp2020
    Thank you Jack,
    I will try and swop with one from the list above and see if it will work. Can I ask given that the soldered RAM is 2666mhz if I install the 3200mhz will it work? I guess it will work at the lower bus of 2666mhz?
    Regs
    Aj
  • JackE
    The soldered RAM is 933MHz or 1866MHz double data rate v4 (DDR4), not 2666 MHz. As mentioned earlier, all the listed modules I posted have been tested to work on this particular model with the 1866MHz soldered RAM. They should all automatically drop to 1866MHz virtual speed to match your 933MHz  mainboard speed at double data rate. This may be why the 2666MHz modules you've tried so far have been a problem; they may not be able to drop to 933MHz mainboard speed.

Jack E/NJ

• Ajp2020
    Thanks Jack, hopefully will work, will update once I have tried.
  • JackE
    OK. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.  :)    Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ