HDD upgrade cable - nitro 5-AN515-44/55 or 517-52

Options
Tash
Tash Member Posts: 3 New User
edited May 2021 in Nitro Gaming
So I wanted to install the HDD upgrade cable straight away but the silver box (hard drive) I’m guessing (I’m new to this) is missing? Do I buy separate? 

//Edited the content to add model name.

Best Answer

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @Tash

Why bother with 2.5" SATA3 SSD or mechanical HDD and look for cables? If you just want additional storage and no consideration for speed, that may be one possible reason.

Your laptop can use M.2 NVMe SSD, which is like 5-6 times faster than 2.5" SATA3 SSD and like 20+ times faster than mechanical HDD. Put the M.2 NVMe SSD to full potential use!

Answers

• ttttt
    Options
    Do you want to "ADD" a HDD or "UPGRADE" to a higher capacity HDD?

Do not know your PC's model yet.

If you PC is a laptop, sometimes a short cable  will be in the compartment for future HDD (most likely no cable needed).

If you have a desktop, for Micro ATX PC you may need a 8" SATA data cable. For ATX tower, you may need something like 12"-14", depending on which part of the PC the HDD will be placed. Some cables have additional clip for more secure connecting, some cables have 90 degree connector for easy access.

I always suggest people upgrade to 2.5" SATA3 SSD from the old style mechanical HDD as SATA3 SSD is like 2-3 times faster than spinning HDD, this is the best value performance upgrade for a PC. Use a 2.5" SATA3 SSD if you have not bought the HDD yet.

• SilvaGi
    SilvaGi Member Posts: 277 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options
    Yes that's for additional optional upgrade to 2.5 inch SSD or HDD ( hardrive). Whats your model number and use for your new laptop? can better help you with upgrade options. BTW, in most countries it wont void warranty for RAM upgrade and adding HDD or SSD.
    Please Click Yes if Ive answered your question.
    Current: Custom Desktop Build (5800X, 16GB, 3070ti)
    Previous: Aspire 5 A515 44 R8RH
    (R5 4500u, 8GB, AMD Radeon Vega 6 iGPU)
    Previous: Nitro 5 AN515 55 (i7,16GB,1650ti)
    Thanks SilvaGi!

• Tash
    Options
    So I have the nitro 5-AN515-44/55 or 517-52 sorry just looking at the instruction booklet. So a tiny cable came with it saying HDD upgrade so I thought I’d put it in. Took it all off and the bit I wanted to put it in. Isn’t there. 
    I am going to use it for gaming/streaming attempts
    see image from the step by step that I don’t have haha
  • Tash
    Options
     See image 
  • ttttt
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @Tash

Why bother with 2.5" SATA3 SSD or mechanical HDD and look for cables? If you just want additional storage and no consideration for speed, that may be one possible reason.

Your laptop can use M.2 NVMe SSD, which is like 5-6 times faster than 2.5" SATA3 SSD and like 20+ times faster than mechanical HDD. Put the M.2 NVMe SSD to full potential use!
  • RGD
    RGD Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    i have an Acer Nitro AN517-52 laptop and I'm adding a 2.5" SATA SSD.  I need the upgrade cable to connect the SSD to the MB. Where can I purchase one?
  • Badger123
    Badger123 Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter
    Options
    Hi RGD. Did you get sorted ? I have a windows 11 Acer Nitro 5 AN517-41 and installed 1TB WD SATA HDD with the cable supplied with the laptop. It is not working. The system does not see the drive. So now I am waiting for a caddy to put the HDD in it and connect it through USB to the laptop to see if the HDD works, then the SATA cable might be faulty ( I hope, or the motherboard socket is faulty ? ) I will be wiser when I test the HDD in the caddy. The HDD is brand new directly form WD manufacturer's website. I asked my question about this but am still waiting to have it approved to be shown here on the acer community. Let us know how you are getting on, thanks.
  • ttttt
    Options
    @Badger123

Can you describe how the 1 TB WD SATA HDD is not working with the cable supplied with the laptop?
    The cable supplied should be the right cable.
    Most of the time it is because the users do not insert the cable properly, thus causing the problem.

I'll suggest try again make sure the cable is fully inserted (with the clip open), and then close the clip once properly seated.

Testing the SATA drive in an external caddy is a good way to determine if the drive is good, and it provides external drive capabilities.
  • Badger123
    Options
    ttttt 
    ttttt thank you for your reply.
    the cable is fully inserted/properly seated and then the clip was closed. Several times rechecked and reconnected, no difference.
    here is my post with the description of "not working" / not visible :
    installed SATA HDD not visible on Acer Nitro 5 laptop — Acer Community

• Badger123
    Options
    ttttt 
    ttttt thank you for your reply.
    the cable is fully inserted/properly seated and then the clip was closed. Several times rechecked and reconnected, no difference.
    here is my post with the description of "not working" / not visible :
    installed SATA HDD not visible on Acer Nitro 5 laptop — Acer Community