Acer Aspire AXC-704G-UW61( Upgrade Internet Speed )

CompuTech1
CompuTech1 Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

I have recently upgraded my internet speed to "Gigablast" and have lost almost complete functionality.  Do I need to change HDD or just invest in another computer?  I noticed that the current drivers available are dated 2017, and the BIOS 2016.

Answers

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi CompuTech1,

# Try to update the Network driver

1. Hold windows key and hit letter X.
    2. Choose the device manager option.
    3. Go with the option Network.
    4. Under the title Network.
    Update Wireless Software or Driver on Windows 10 - Driver Easy
    5. Right click on that option ----> Update all driver under the title Network.
    6. Choose "search automatically". 

Check this T/S and post the result. ​
  • CompuTech1

Tinkerer

I don't see the Broadcom 802.11 adapter option. 
  • Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    It may be called something else in your pc like Intel WiFi, killer AC or Aethros

When you say you have lost almost complete functionality, what do you mean? Is it some pages are not loading? :)
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,439 Trailblazer
    The Aspire XC-704G models came originally with 802.11 b/g/n wireless, which is limited to the 802.11n speeds (in the neighborhood is 300Mbit/sec). When you did the upgrade, did they provide you with a new router? It is likely 802.11ax (WiFi 6), which is supposed to be fully downward compatible, but often is less that optimal. Your machine uses an M.2 card for the wireless, so you could upgrade to a newer card to get the better speeds. You likely won't be able to get full speed with a wireless connection without upgrading more than the card, but you can get close.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • CompuTech1

Tinkerer

Leostat said:
    It may be called something else in your pc like Intel WiFi, killer AC or Aethros

When you say you have lost almost complete functionality, what do you mean? Is it some pages are not loading? :)
    I can access internet, but not my files on my computer.  They tend to load slowly. 
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,457 Trailblazer
    I have recently upgraded my internet speed to "Gigablast" and have lost almost complete functionality.  Do I need to change HDD or just invest in another computer?  I noticed that the current drivers available are dated 2017, and the BIOS 2016.
    The XC-704G came with OEM from Acer with the Azurewave AW-NB182NF 802.11 b/g/n/M.2/1T1R+BT - Acer part #: DA.10211.02Z which is a WiFi and BT card which has an operating frequency of 2.4GHz card hasn't got 5G so that is where your problem is as your WiFi card is too slow for your network to utilise all its speed.  These are some of the specs on the AzureWave AW-NB182NF card:

Interface OUI - none specified
    Antenna Info
    MHF4
    MIMO status
    1x1:1
    Wireless Standards
    IEEE 802.11b/g/n
    802.11n
    up to 150 MBps
    802.11g
    up to 54 MBps
    802.11b
    up to 11 MBps
    Operating Frequency
    2.4 GHz

Your OEM AzureWave AW-NB182NF WiFi/BT card

You need to upgrade to a faster and the same M.2 connector WiFi/BT card with both 2.4G and 5G operating frequencies with an M.2 connector and 1630 form factor. Your XC704G's PCIe Interface is; 1x PCIe x16 slot, spec only supports PCIe x2 Gen2 (PCIe V2.0) and 1x mini-PCIe M.2 slot (PCIe V2.0) that has the WiFi/BT AzureWave AW-NB182NF card.

So if you have not got anything in the PCIe slot like a GPU card then you can put a PCIe WiFi/BT card of the newer Gen 2.4/5G types as your PCIe is only a x2 Gen2 (PCIe V2.0) slot as the newer and faster WiFi and BT PCIe adaptors will fit and this "Broadcom BCM94371ZA Dual Band AC WiFi + BT 4.1 Desktop Adapter PCIE 1X WLAN Card" as its a device class: 802.11 AC + BT4.0 and will accommodates from a desktop  interface: PCIe x1 and will work and give you the higher speeds.  
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,439 Trailblazer
    I'd think replacing the existing card with something like a new Intel AX201 would be most appropriate...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.