Veriton X4640G BIOS recovery

blackslash
blackslash Member Posts: 2 New User
Hi,

Windows decided to update my BIOS automatically and bricked my machine. Now when powered on, the machine just starts up but nothing comes up on the screen. I read through many forums and understood that it is recoverable if I rename the BIOS file with a specific name and load it into a fat32 formatted USB stick and boot the machine holding up fn+f2 or Esc keys. 

I am having trouble locating the correct name via HEX editor. When I download the BIOS file from Acer, I get a file with .8M extension. This PC just ran out of warranty so can't send it back. Just wondering if anyone knows something regarding the recovery process for this model?

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,439 Trailblazer
    You shouldn't need this, unless it was bricked by turning it off half way through the update. All you should need to do is go into the BIOS and reset all to defaults. What seems to be happening is when Microsoft does these updates they are pushing an image that has good settings for some models and bad for others.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • blackslash
    blackslash Member Posts: 2 New User
    Well the machine was stuck in the upgrade process for 6 hours, so I guess there isn’t much to do other than turning it off and on again, hoping that it boots okay. 

Acer support refused to help as it just ran out of warranty. I think Acer should take responsibility for these or provide recovery instructions for the end user to fix them if they don’t want to help.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,439 Trailblazer
    Can you get into the BIOS at all? When you first turn it on does anything get displayed before the screen goes blank?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.