Laptop getting hot - Acer Aspire 5 A515-55G-589V (i5)

NathalieW
NathalieW Member Posts: 1 New User
edited May 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Hi all,

I have bought the laptop mentioned above a few months ago (in Belgium). I am not happy with something, but before I will contact Acer themselves, maybe you can tell me if what I am experiencing is normal or not.

From day 1, the laptop fans make a lot of noise and they start even with the simplest Facebook scrolling. At the moment, I am typing this and the fans are going crazy and my laptop gets very hot. I have Chrome open and literally nothing else. This is all even worse when I have it on the charger. The heat is situated all along the left half - 3/4 of my laptop, if you start at the left cable ports (which are the hottest parts) and move your hand over the laptop (keyboard) to the right, the further you go towards the right side, you can feel the heat get less. At the moment of typing, it was all the way until roughly the number 9 key (to give you an idea as to how far it goes along the keyboard). When the fans are blazing like crazy, and you shut the laptop (to put it in sleepmode), it takes forever for it to actually go into sleepmode. It does not have that problem when you close the laptop when the fans are not blazing. 

Now, I have bought a laptop cooler which has 1 big fan in the middle and then 4 smaller ones in the 4 corners. That makes no difference! I can put them all on and it will not cool my laptop whatsoever. The laptop cooler is also tilted upwards so that there is plenty of space for the warmth to get away from the laptop.

In terms of heavy duty things, I only play the sims from time to time, and that makes my laptop go haywire! It will blaze even more and constantly (takes a long time after shutting down the came for the fans to calm down!) and get hotter. I know that processors and such nowadays are stronger, but still. My 7 year old laptop (that still works but got slow) doesn't even have that problem! It will lag sometimes while playing the sims but it does not get hot whatsoever. But again, right now, I am only typing this and the fans have been going crazy the whole time, even with my laptop cooler on full power.

So, here is my question: is this normal or not? I would expect some fan noise and working fans when doing heavy stuff, but not like this. I am trying to determine if I need to send my laptop back.

Thank you guys.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,775 Trailblazer
    >>>I have Chrome open>>>

Chrome browser is notorious for causing heating issues even if running in the background. Also you should uninstall, not just disable, any non-Microsoft virus scanners. Defender and Malicious Software Removal tools are quite satisfactory for most users and are updated automatically.

Jack E/NJ