USB stick not available from USB 3.x ports Aspire TC-885-ES17

yaudette
yaudette Member Posts: 34 Die Hard WiFi Icon
Hi,
I have an Aspire TC-885-ES17 running under Windows 10 version 20H2 with, I believe, the most recent drivers. There is no outstanding Windows 10 update.

The first time I have noticed the problem was with the front USB 3.1 full size port. When I insert my Lexar 3.0 16GB stick into this port, I can see a short blink on the stick but Windows does not see it. If I insert the same stick into a USB 2.0 port at the back of the station, Windows sees it. If I insert a USB 2.0 stick into the front 3.1 port, Windows sees it. If I insert the Lexar 3.0 stick into a USB 3.0 port at the back, Windows does not see it.

I have reformated the stick but it does not change anything.

I have an Acer Spin 1 laptop and if I insert my Lexar stick into a USB 3.0 port, Windows sees it.

I have compared the USB drivers of both computers and they are very similar. Composite and hub drivers for both computers are exactly the same. If I exclude the card reader, the only difference resides in the extensible controller. The Spin 1 has version 3.0 while the Aspire T has 3.1. I have uninstalled the drivers of the 3.1 extensible and after rebooting nothing has changed. The problem is still present.

Any idea about this very strange and unusual problem? 

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Best Answer

• yaudette
    Answer ✓
    I have figured out the problem. I have managed to find another 3.0 stick in order to test the 3.1 port and it works. Therefore the problem must be the stick. It looks like the case is causing the problem. By removing the circuit from its case and inserting into the USB 3.1 port, it works. Now, I don't know why inserting the stick into a USB 2.0 port works but doesn't into a 3.1 port. This will remain a mystery to me.
    As far as I know, this case is now closed.

Answers

• Balatekie
    Balatekie ACE Posts: 1,353 Pioneer
    yaudette

I experienced same sort of issue with my Transcend drive. I would like to share the troubleshooting, which resolved mine... It is Updating the USB Device Driver. 

You can try this method to get a latest USB device driver.

1. Run devmgmt.msc as administrator.

2. In Device Manager, navigate to “Universal Serial Bus controllers”, usually the last one, and then “Generic USB Hub” > “Update Driver Software” or “Update driver”.

Update Driver Software

3. Select the first option “Search automatically for updated driver software” in the next step to let Windows install the driver automatically.

4. Wait for the process completes. You can restart or reconnect the Lexar flash drive to see if it is recognized.

Hope this helps you!!

Regards, 

Balatekie

:) If you think I've answered your question, please hit the Accept Answer:)

• yaudette
    edited May 2021
    Thanks Balatekie for your intervention but the proposed solution did not resolve the issue. For your information, the drivers for the extensible part are dated 2020-11-16, the hub are 2021-04-22 while the composite are 2006-06-21. I would have expected the last one to be updated but it has not been the case.
    Thanks again for your proposal
  • yaudette
    Answer ✓
    I have figured out the problem. I have managed to find another 3.0 stick in order to test the 3.1 port and it works. Therefore the problem must be the stick. It looks like the case is causing the problem. By removing the circuit from its case and inserting into the USB 3.1 port, it works. Now, I don't know why inserting the stick into a USB 2.0 port works but doesn't into a 3.1 port. This will remain a mystery to me.
    As far as I know, this case is now closed.