Strange SSD Trim Frequency Aspire 5, A515-55-78S9

DaveSWFLA
DaveSWFLA Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited May 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Last week on a clearance sale, I purchased an Acer Aspire 5, A515-55-78S9.  It's not a refurbished unit, it just never sold.  It came with Windows 10 1909 which was properly and successfully updated to 20H2 and is running great.  Now, my understanding is Windows runs the SSD trim command roughly every month, regardless of the setting in the Defrag/Optimization app, which happens to be set to monthly.  Here's what's wonky:

1.  Using the default Acer Balanced power plan, the Defrag/Optimization app is showing a retrim being run every 24 hours.
2.  Switching the power plan to the Windows Balanced power plan, the app is showing a retrim being run very 12 hours.

I don't know if there are any registry keys I need to check.  And, Task Scheduler shows Defrag as never being run (it shouldn't with an SSD).  I could try turning off the automatic scheduling in the Defrag/Optimization app and trim manually.  But, before I do that, I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions or ideas as I'd like to keep the automatic scheduling on. 

By the way, diagnostics on the SSD show no issues and the sfc /scannow and dism commands indicate no problems.  

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,775 Trailblazer
    >>> Defrag/Optimization app, which happens to be set to monthly>>>1.  Using the default Acer Balanced power plan, the Defrag/Optimization app is showing a retrim being run every 24 hours.>>>2.  Switching the power plan to the Windows Balanced power plan, the app is showing a retrim being run very 12 hours>>>

Which power plan was it showing monthly? PowerSaver? Performance?

Jack E/NJ

• DaveSWFLA

Tinkerer

Thanks for replying.  The Defrag/Optimization app shows 
  • JackE
    You said Defrag/Opt app was showing 12 or 24 hours under the Balanced Power Plans. But then earlier you said the Defrag/Opt app happened to be set to monthly. What I'm asking is which Power Plan was the app showing monthly?

Jack E/NJ

• DaveSWFLA

Tinkerer

Sorry about the above post.  The Defrag/Optimization app shows monthly as the schedule under both the Acer default and Windows balanced default power plans.  There are no power saving or performance power plans available.  Point of interest -- I'm currently on the Windows balanced plan and now the app shows a new trim command time every 15 minutes.  I'm turning off scheduled optimization for now until I can figure this out.
  • DaveSWFLA

Tinkerer

Just to clarify -- at the top of the Defrag/Optimize app, where is shows "Last analyzed or ..." -- the time is now changing every 15 minutes.  At the bottom of the app under scheduled optimization, where it shows the frequency of how often it should run, it says monthly.  As stated, I'm turning off the scheduled optimization and will handle it manually.
  • JackE
    edited May 2021
    My C : \ says 0 days since last retrim. Done today. My recovery partition 13 days ago. They're analysed weekly and optimized only as needed. I'd leave well enough alone.

Jack E/NJ

• DaveSWFLA

Tinkerer

@JackE -- your advice is sound.  Will leave it alone.  BTW -- after more than 30 years using computers, this is my first  Acer and I'm really impressed with the performance.  Great value for the money.  Thanks for your assistance.
  • JackE
    >>>Last week on a clearance sale, I purchased an Acer >>>this is my first  Acer and I'm really impressed>>>

I also couldn't resist buying my first ACER 10 years ago at a clearance with a 5% Target card discount. The same laptop I'm using now to reply.  YMMV.  :)   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ