Helios 300 PH315-53 ram upgrade, Samsung, Crucial o Corsair?

Options
iobi
iobi Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Hello everybody,
I am writing from Italy and I own the Predator Helios 300 PH315-53 (i7-10750H + 8GB + RTX2060).

I want to upgrade the ram because 8GB are really tight on me, and I want to do the operation myself bringing it to 32GB.

From CPU-Z I got these features (see screenshot) Samsung DDR4-3200 (1600MHz)

I searched here on the forum and on the web which ram to install and mainly 4 brands came out: Crucial-Ballistix-Samsung-Corsair.

I need guidance because:
1) on the forum it seems that the Crucials can give problems
2) I have never had Ballistix ram and don't know them
3) Corsair looks ok from an Amazon.it feed
4) Samsung looks really expensive

I thank in advance whoever will help me in this choice, which is not as easy as it seems.
Thank you!

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,991 Trailblazer
    edited May 2021
    Options
    iobi said:
    Hello everybody,
    I am writing from Italy and I own the Predator Helios 300 PH315-53 (i7-10750H + 8GB + RTX2060).
    I want to upgrade the ram because 8GB are really tight on me, and I want to do the operation myself bringing it to 32GB.
    From CPU-Z I got these features (see screenshot) Samsung DDR4-3200 (1600MHz)
    I searched here on the forum and on the web which ram to install and mainly 4 brands came out: Crucial-Ballistix-Samsung-Corsair.
    I need guidance because:
    1) on the forum it seems that the Crucials can give problems
    2) I have never had Ballistix ram and don't know them
    3) Corsair looks ok from an Amazon.it feed
    4) Samsung looks really expensive

I thank in advance whoever will help me in this choice, which is not as easy as it seems.
    Thank you!

Look, the PH315-53 service manual for the 10th Gen i7-10750H CPU suggests a total 32GB of either 4GB/8GB/16GB memory in each slot but not mixed e.g. 4 + 8 etc of speeds DDR4 2666Mhz or max 2933MHz, ok you have the 8GB DDR4-3200MHz and it works as is evident by your CPUz stats but, I wouldn't try to put any overclocked memory like the Crucial Ballistix or Corsair Vengance etc as your laptop wont boot especially if you go even to 16GB or especially the max and total memory of the PH315-53 of 32GB! Put the standard memory modules of the DDR4-3200Mhz like you have with the Samsung now. 

My suggestion is for you to match your OEM above CPUz Samsung 8GB DDR4-3200MHz part #: M471A1K43DB1-CWE RAM specs so that you will have Dual "Channel #" and 16GB total RAM. You can also use other RAM from other manufacturers but they have to match the Samsung 8GB DDR4-3200MHz  part #: M471A1K43DB1-CWE RAM exact specs, if they are different specs your RAM will not work in Dual "Channel #" and will work to the lowest speed/timing of the common factor of the lowest memory module, that is the rule. 

If you want the max and 32GB total memory and for best performance of your PH315-53 you should always match the memory modules and get them in kit forms, like this example of the max 32GB for the PH315-53 of the Crucial 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 SODIMM as this is their standard memory, don't use overclocked memory. 

System Memory (highlighted is for the 10th Gen i7-10750H CPU only)

Memory Combinations