How to tell if my Laptop supports SSD without opening the back cover Aspire V 15 V3-572PG-50S1

ZoGGy
ZoGGy Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

How can I tell if my Acer Aspire V 15 Touch V3-572PG-50S1 supports SSD without opening the back cover?

Thanks for your assistance

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Your Aspire V3-572PG supports only one drive internally, but it can be a HDD or SSD. It's in the 2.5" form factor and uses a SATA interface. What you can do to upgrade to a SSD is first purchase a 2.5" SSD and an external case to connect it via USB. Put the SSD into the case and use some drive cloning software to copy the contents of the HDD to the SSD. Likely the SSD will actually be larger than the original HDD since the system is so old. I'd likely choose a 500GB drive, since you can get one for something like $70-75 and your original drive was either 320GB or 500GB. You might also look at 1TB drives, they'll be near $100. Once you have cloned the HDD to the SSD shut everything down and take off the bottom cover, there are something like 17 screws holding it together. With the cover off you will be easily able to see the HDD. Just unplug it from the cable and plug the SSD in it's place. Reassemble the cover and all screws then plug it back in and turn it on. It should boot up nice and quickly. Once you are confident everything is working good put your old HDD in the external case, plug it into a USB slot and use Disk Management to wipe all partitions off it and create a single big data partition. You can then use it either for extra storage or as a backup location, or anything else you'd like...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    Answer ✓
    Your Aspire V3-572PG supports only one drive internally, but it can be a HDD or SSD. It's in the 2.5" form factor and uses a SATA interface. What you can do to upgrade to a SSD is first purchase a 2.5" SSD and an external case to connect it via USB. Put the SSD into the case and use some drive cloning software to copy the contents of the HDD to the SSD. Likely the SSD will actually be larger than the original HDD since the system is so old. I'd likely choose a 500GB drive, since you can get one for something like $70-75 and your original drive was either 320GB or 500GB. You might also look at 1TB drives, they'll be near $100. Once you have cloned the HDD to the SSD shut everything down and take off the bottom cover, there are something like 17 screws holding it together. With the cover off you will be easily able to see the HDD. Just unplug it from the cable and plug the SSD in it's place. Reassemble the cover and all screws then plug it back in and turn it on. It should boot up nice and quickly. Once you are confident everything is working good put your old HDD in the external case, plug it into a USB slot and use Disk Management to wipe all partitions off it and create a single big data partition. You can then use it either for extra storage or as a backup location, or anything else you'd like...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ZoGGy
    ZoGGy Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

billsey thanks once again, that was the exact answer I was looking for, I thoroughly appreciate it. I am going to take your advice and do that this weekend!
  • billsey
    No problem, glad I could help.