A famous confusion for Acer Aspire A515-51G around m.2 - SATA vs NVME

Marathi_Manus
Marathi_Manus Member Posts: 27 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited May 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Hello,

So I twitted acer and acer india handle asking which SSD it is. Acer said its M.2 SATA and Acer India said its M.2 NVME. 

Since I purchased this in india, I am thinknig of going with Acer India answer. But since  NVME is costlier and my need is just basic SATA SSD, I woinder if this supports both SATA and NVME. Ideally it should.

Just tagging @egydiocoelho as he seems to be active on this topic lately.

Here is tweet if any one is interested. The tweet has SR no for my machine.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,776 Trailblazer
    Yes it should support an nvme card at either 2x or 4x SATA3 speeds depending the actual mainboard bus speed installed. You can usually check actual PCIe root port bus speeds using hwinfo64 freeware. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Marathi_Manus
    Marathi_Manus Member Posts: 27 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    JackE said:
    Yes it should support an nvme card at either 2x or 4x SATA3 speeds depending the actual mainboard bus speed installed. You can usually check actual PCIe root port bus speeds using hwinfo64 freeware. Jack E/NJ
    Hi,

Here is my bus summary. 
    https://pastebin.com/raw/32tKHw8B

Its been a while since I have used Windows and touched anythign on hardware. Which of these bus ends into m.2 slots? PCI Express x4 Bus #1??

Also, what speed can I expect for M.2 SSD for NVME or SATA?
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,426 Trailblazer
    edited May 2021
    Hi,
    This model has M.2 NVMe SSD slot with 2 lanes enabled, a M.2 NVMe SSD will run at half the speed advertised by the manufacturers, these are the speeds I have managed to get from a 256GB Samsung 960 Evo in my A515-51:

• This model accepts sata 3, nvme and optane memory. About the speed, you can check with the hwinfo64 program.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :)