Aspire 3 A315 --51-P51H unable to boot as no bootable device found

alfieb2204
alfieb2204 Member Posts: 7 New User
edited May 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Hi everyone, first time on the board and need some help.

A few weeks ago I accidentally slammed my mobile onto the keyboard and ever since I've been unable to boot up my laptop. Initially it got as far as the Acer initial screen then...nothing. ON one load up I got a message "no bootable device found". At this point my stomach just tightened up. (All my files, photos, music, video) then the tears started running down my face and panic set in. (That statement was added for dramatic effect, I didn't cry, honest...maybe felt like it but narghh....ain't gonna happen).

Anyway, I've done a bit more searching and tried pressing F2 after the Acer logo came on. That got me to the bios. From there went to BOOT SETTING > BOOT MODE.

The next suggestion was to change the boot mode from UEFI to LEGACY then to press F10 to save the option....then I hit a problem. The procedure suggested that my laptop would restart and boot normally, which it didn't and I don't have a boot programme to boot up from as there is "NO BOOTABLE DEVICE FOUND".

Another problem was I didn't do what every pc owner should do and that was to create a boot file for just such a situation. Yeah, I know, It's a "you fool, ALWAYS have a boot copy available" situation. PLUS, my laptop doesn't have a CD slot that means I need to use a USB boot instead? Is that possible and, if it is, how can this be done?

Despite of what I have written I am a novice on this kind of procedure so any help provided needs to be simple and clear with pretty diagrams and positive, motivational comments  :)

So, after all that....is there hope for my laptop?

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,441 Trailblazer
    Hi everyone, first time on the board and need some help.

A few weeks ago I accidentally slammed my mobile onto the keyboard and ever since I've been unable to boot up my laptop. Initially it got as far as the Acer initial screen then...nothing. ON one load up I got a message "no bootable device found". At this point my stomach just tightened up. (All my files, photos, music, video) then the tears started running down my face and panic set in. (That statement was added for dramatic effect, I didn't cry, honest...maybe felt like it but narghh....ain't gonna happen).

Anyway, I've done a bit more searching and tried pressing F2 after the Acer logo came on. That got me to the bios. From there went to BOOT SETTING > BOOT MODE.

The next suggestion was to change the boot mode from UEFI to LEGACY then to press F10 to save the option....then I hit a problem. The procedure suggested that my laptop would restart and boot normally, which it didn't and I don't have a boot programme to boot up from as there is "NO BOOTABLE DEVICE FOUND".

Another problem was I didn't do what every pc owner should do and that was to create a boot file for just such a situation. Yeah, I know, It's a "you fool, ALWAYS have a boot copy available" situation. PLUS, my laptop doesn't have a CD slot that means I need to use a USB boot instead? Is that possible and, if it is, how can this be done?

Despite of what I have written I am a novice on this kind of procedure so any help provided needs to be simple and clear with pretty diagrams and positive, motivational comments  :)

So, after all that....is there hope for my laptop?

First, what exact Aspire 3 A515 model do you have e.g. is it a A315-21? Also, is your keyboard working properly and are there any keys stuck? Check your keyboard as when you "slammed your mobile onto the keyboard" it could have damaged certain key that are stuck and these keys are causing this boot problems e.g. one of your "F keys" damaged or stuck etc.

Do a systematic check and diagnose where your mobile hit the keyboard and see if these keys are not stuck and causing this "no bootable device found". As and if your A315 was booting and working properly there shouldn't be anything else wrong except your keyboard and that has to be replaced. Don't do anything else as you will cause more damage than fix anything!
  • alfieb2204
    Yep, sorry I guess that would have helped

A315-51-P51H

All keys can be depressed and respond well but I have nothing to use, like a live screen, to see if they register a key strike
  • alfieb2204
    Just an extra few comments

Firstly, thanks for getting back to me. I really appreciated the response.

I checked my laptop this morning and tried the F2 key and that worked so I know that, if needed, I can access the setup utility screen. Don't know if that helps?
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi alfieb2204,

In BIOS page is HDD detecting in info menu.
  • alfieb2204
    Hi Easwar

I think my troubles went from bad to worse.

The only screen I get now, after pressing F2, is a black one and it says "Intel UNDI PXE 2.1 (build 083) -- No bootable device - Insert boot disc and press any key". Unfortunately I don't have a dvd slot,,,or boot disc

• alfieb2204
    Easwar

IEaswar said:
    Hi alfieb2204,

In BIOS page is HDD detecting in info menu.
    Since my last post I have tried F2 and DO have access to the setup utility.

It only shows HDD0 Model name WDC WD10SPZX-21Z10T0
    HDD0 Serial number WXXTA58HVUAT
  • Easwar
    Hi alfieb2204,

Just reset and try to boot the unit.

Reset this PC and keep my files
    1. Press and hold alt+F10 key. Then turn ON the unit.
    2. You will get a blue screen. Choose the option troubleshoot. 
    3. Select Keep my files to refresh your PC and reinstall your operating system without removing your personal files. Click Next to continue. Important If you have apps installed on your PC, they will be removed. Recovery - 25
    4. Resetting the PC will reinstall Windows, change settings back to their factory defaults and remove all preinstalled apps and programs without removing your personal files. Click Reset to continue.
    5. You will be shown the reset progress on the screen. The screen will turn off during the reset process.
    6. The screen will turn back on when it is installing Windows. Your PC will restart several times during the reset process.
    7. Follow the process until it completes.
    8. When your PC has completed the reset process, Windows will have been reset back to its factory default settings without removing your personal files.
  • alfieb2204
    Hello, again, Easwar

Sorry to say that didn't work and I just got the black screen, with white text, asking me to insert boot disc....I think my idea of a very big hammer is looking very tempting  :#
  • Easwar
  • alfieb2204
    Hey Easwar....do you ever sleep??  :)

Thanks for replying so quickly....thought this might need more than a hammer and a sticking plaster.  :'( So, looks like I'll have to spend to get back into my laptop.

Thanks for taking the time to consider my problem. 
  • Easwar
    Hi alfieb2204,

Please update us back once the issue fixed.