Aspire 5 laptop (A515-44) I Need Help With A Trackpad Problem, Please

Flump
Flump Member Posts: 3 New User
edited May 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Hello All.

I was hoping that any tech-minded person could help me with my problem, please? I recently purchased an Acer Aspire 5 laptop (A515-44) and it has been working great. Yesterday though, as I was using my browser, for some reason the two-fingered trackpad gesture of swiping left or right to go back and forth within stored pages suddenly stopped working. Every other gesture seems to be working fine, including pinch zoom. I have tried different browsers in case that was the problem. I am not the most tech savvy guy but, I have tried to figure it out within trackpad settings and found a few posts on here saying to go into the BIOS menu, which I was eventually able to as this laptop's F2 key also turns airplane mode on/off. No luck though.

On my laptop's BIOS menu, there was not an option to change the trackpad from basic to advanced though, which seems to have helped a few people with trackpad gesture problems. Can someone please help me to get this gesture back? Thanks. 

Edited the content to hide sensitive information.

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,776 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    The pinhole reset only removes any residual charges on the mainboard and RAM that might be causing issues like this. It chouldn't affect your  Windows system or personal files. With the laptop turned off, remove the charger and insert the paperclip into the pinhole for 30 seoncds or so. Then plug the charger back in and turn it on to test. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Open Control Panel. Search 'restore point' Click 'create a restore point' in left pane. If System Protection is turned on in the box that pops up, click System Restore button. Click next. Do you see an automatic restore point with a date/time stamp from yesterday? If not, check your BIOS Main tab again while pressing Ctrl+S to reveal any hidden options. If all else fail, turn the machine off, remove charger and insert a paperclip into the reset pinhole on the bottom for about 30 seconds. Then plug the charger back in and try it again. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Flump
    Thanks for replying, JackE.

Sorry for my late reply. There was a restore point from the 24th April but, when I then clicked "finish" to restore my laptop, a message said that the save point was corrupted and the restore didn't happen. The only other restore point was 16/5/21, so I left it. I tried your Ctrl+S suggestion within the BIOS screen: the touchpad option did show up, but the only 2 changeable options were [I2C] (which it was set at) or [PS2], both of which go over my head I'm afraid. Doesn't the reset pinhole restore everything to factory settings? I would like to avoid that, if I can. 

Thanks for the reply and the help. I really do appreciate it.   
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    The pinhole reset only removes any residual charges on the mainboard and RAM that might be causing issues like this. It chouldn't affect your  Windows system or personal files. With the laptop turned off, remove the charger and insert the paperclip into the pinhole for 30 seoncds or so. Then plug the charger back in and turn it on to test. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Flump
    I may try your suggestion in the future, JackE, if I'm brave enough. I'm always afraid that if something can go wrong, it'll go wrong for me. For now, I managed to reconfigure the left and right swipe of the 3 finger gesture to navigate back and forth within pages. Not ideal I know, as I've lost two other gestures but, it will do for now. 

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Take care.