Aspire 5 A515-51G-51R7 Ram Upgrade - 2400Mhz CL17 Will It Work?

TekiLay
TekiLay Member Posts: 4 New User
Hello,
It says in the Service Manual that it supports 2133 Mhz. On the computer, the latency time CL17 appears. However, I could not find 8GB 2133Mhz CL17 in Turkey. Those sold are 2133 Mhz CL15. In a forum, I read that Acer Turkey replied that the 2400Mhz CL17 is appropriate. Then in this forum I also read that it cannot run Crucial 2400 Mhz CL17 on the same model computer. I am thoroughly confused.

What I want to do is add another 8GB to the 4GB internal memory and upgrade it to 12GB Ram.

I'm adding the CPU-Z Data of my computer, my questions are;
- Will the 2400 Mhz CL17 work Dual on this computer with the integrated ram?
- If I add 2133 Mhz CL15, will lag time be a problem?
- Can you recommend 8Gb ram from well-known brands, which works flawlessly?

Thanks.

Answers

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 4,062 Pathfinder
    For me, I will recommend you the 2133MHZ with CL15 because lower CAS Latency is better. You can get any well-known brands like: Samsung, SK hynix, Kingston, Crucial,...
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,773 Trailblazer
    Your mainboard is not dual channel capable. Just about any DDR4 module rated at 2400MHz or higher shouldl work just fine with the soldered  2400MHz RAM that's in there now.

Jack E/NJ

• TekiLay
    edited May 2021
    Thank you both for the answer. However, there are two things I cannot understand.
    1. If I add onboard 4GB Ram CLA17, 2133Mhz CLA15, will there be no mismatch since lag times are 17 & 15?
    2. @AnhEZ28 You wrote me to add 2133 Mhz, @JackE 2400 Mhz or higher. If the 2400 will run smoothly, there is a lot more to buy, but as I wrote, there are some who say that it doesn't work in the forum. I wrote it for this reason, but again two different answers came. I'm still confused.
    I would be glad if you explain the technical reasons together. Then I can understand and decide more clearly. I still haven't figured out if it will work 2400Mhz.

When 2400 Mhz is added, it has to run at a lower speed (2133Mhz), right?
  • JackE
    Doesn't matter if the module is rated at  2400MHz, 2666MHz or 3200MHz. It will only run as fast as the mainboard bus allows. Since your double data rate RAM now operates at 1200MHz bus speed or 2400MHz effective RAM speed, you should add a RAM module which is capable of running at least 2400MHz RAM speed or higher,  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• TekiLay
    TekiLay said:
    1. If I add onboard 4GB Ram CLA17, 2133Mhz CLA15, will there be no mismatch since lag times are 17 & 15?
    Thanks for the answer, @JackE
    When I get 2400 Mhz, it will work as 2133Mhz. Anyone who says that 2400 Mhz doesn't work, probably has another problem. This way I get it.
    I would be glad if you answer my first question as well. Onboard 4GB ram CLA17 appears on CPU-Z. The CLA value is not specified in the service manual. Which direction should my CLA preference be?
  • JackE
    Yes, your system should work fine with any speeds 2133MHz or higher. You will notice virtually no discernable latency time differences (= clock cycle period X CL)  between typical DDR4 sodimms. So pick least expensive 2133MHz or higher.

Jack E/NJ

• TekiLay
    Hello Again,
    I installed a used 8 GB SK Hynix 2400 Mhz CLA 17 ram. It worked without any problems. Thanks for the help. 

• JackE
    Congrats. Thanks for reporting back on your success!   :) Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ