Screen flickering/flashing - Acer Swift 3X SF314-510G

Options
Tinbaer
Tinbaer Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited May 2021 in Swift and Spin Series
A couple of weeks ago we bought a brand new Acer Swift 3X SF314-510G because it had the latest gen Intel processor, 1TB SSD, 16GB,... anyway, everything to make it a decent laptop. This laptop has the new Intel Iris X Max graphics card, which I wasn't familiar with.

The laptop had a promo in the Acer webshop here in the Philippines, so all in all it was a good deal... until a big issue started to show up once my wife started using the laptop. The screen started flickering, or more like flashing like crazy (see video below). I've tried updating the graphics driver, but the one from Acer was the most recent already. Then I used the one from Intel itself, which I thought resolved the issue, but I that only lasted for a couple of hours and was pure coincidence. Then I started reading about a Windows update (
KB5001330) messing with frame rates and causing issues playing games. But in our case, it was just happening all the time. But still, I uninstalled the said update and for a few moments it seemed fixed... but that also only lasted for a bit.

Eventually we ended up bringing the laptop to the Acer repair center last week. I am not very hopefull, since they thought it was a battery issue, as the battery didn't fully charge to 100%. Yeah well... that's a setting in Acer Care Center to give your battery a longer life. Anyway... the screen is the issue, not the battery. And the they were messing with drivers again, which I don't believe is going to solve the issue.

By the way, when connecting an external monitor, there is no flickering on the external monitor, while the laptop screen keeps flashing.

Does anyone have an idea if this could be a hardware issue or if it would be the driver?

Video of the screen: https://youtu.be/W2q9KlcnFLk

Thanks in advance!

Best Answer

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,867 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Does the display also flash when you access the bios? If the display also flashes on the bios, there may be a problem with the edp cable or the display itself. Sometimes, disconnecting and reconnecting the edp cable can solve the problem:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-kKAFeX-A0
    https://youtu.be/7-kKAFeX-A0
    First, disconnect the battery:

Then, disconnect and reconnect the edp cable:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,867 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Does the display also flash when you access the bios? If the display also flashes on the bios, there may be a problem with the edp cable or the display itself. Sometimes, disconnecting and reconnecting the edp cable can solve the problem:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Tinbaer

Tinkerer

Options

Thank you for your extended explanation. As the laptop is still under warranty, it wouldn't be something I would try myself though. My wife just got back from the Acer Repair Center and they replaced the battery, which appeared to be faulty. I hope it's fixed now... 

Since you only get to communicate with the people at the counter and not with a technician, they also can't give you an explanation on why the battery caused the issue of the screen flickering.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    OK! But was the problem solved?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Tinbaer

Tinkerer

Options
    OK! But was the problem solved?
    Sorry for the late reply! The problem was solved... for two weeks and then it started all over again. This morning I wasted 4 hours dropping off the laptop at Acer Service Center again.
  • Tinbaer

Tinkerer

Options
    And after they replaced the whole motherboard, the issue stayed away for almost 2 months... and started all over again now. This laptop is pure trash, stay away from it and pick something else instead is the best advice I can give!
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    In my opinion, the edp cable may be poorly connected. If it was my laptop, I would disassemble it and put high-strength duct tape on the edp cable connectors so the cable doesn't move or disconnect.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Tinbaer

Tinkerer

Options
    They've already checked that twice and it wasn't the issue. And since the laptop is still under warranty, I am not opening it myself. We've dropped it again at the Acer service center this morning... to be continued.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 32,386 Trailblazer
    Options
    I wonder if the root cause is external, such as a bad power supply that's causing the motherboard failures...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • HenryLee
    HenryLee Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

Options
     I just bought Swift3x, also got this screen flickering.  Done all the Windows10 update.  Still flicker.  Anyone can help?

• billsey
    Options
    @HenryLee we haven't heard back from the original poster, who was working with Acer support on a warranty repair. Have you started that process yet? Can you tie the flicker down to any app or position of the screen?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • HenryLee

Tinkerer

Options
    billsey said:
    @HenryLee we haven't heard back from the original poster, who was working with Acer support on a warranty repair. Have you started that process yet? Can you tie the flicker down to any app or position of the screen?
    No, I’ve not contacted Acer. My laptop is brand new one day only. It has completed all Windows 10 updates. Device manager shows two display drivers (Xe and Xe Max). When I connect HDMI to external monitor and setting it only to ext monitor only, the desktop is stable.  I suspect it may be the display driver problem. BIOS screen n Windows update blue timer screen are both stable. It has Symantec Norton. I’ll search n do some checks again later today to see if I can find and resolve. 
  • HenryLee

Tinkerer

Options
    billsey said:
    No, I’ve not contacted Acer. My laptop is brand new one day only. It has completed all Windows 10 updates. Device manager shows two display drivers (Xe and Xe Max). When I connect HDMI to external monitor and setting it only to ext monitor only, the desktop is stable.  I suspect it may be the display driver problem. BIOS screen n Windows update blue timer screen are both stable. It has Symantec Norton. I’ll search n do some che
  • HenryLee

Tinkerer

Options
    billsey said:
    No, I’ve not contacted Acer. My laptop is brand new one day only. It has completed all Windows 10 updates. Device manager shows two display drivers (Xe and Xe Max). When I connect HDMI to external monitor and setting it only to ext monitor only, the desktop is stable.  I suspect it may be the display driver problem. BIOS screen n Windows update blue timer screen are both stable. It has Symantec Norton. I’ll search n do some checks later today. 
  • HenryLee

Tinkerer

Options
    billsey said:
    No, I’ve not contacted Acer. Laptop is brand new one day only. Hascompleted all Windows 10 updates. Device manager shows two display drivers (Xe and Xe Max). When connect HDMI to external monitor and setting it only to ext monitor only, the desktop is stable.  I suspect it may be the display driver problem. BIOS screen n Windows update blue timer screen are both stable. It has Symantec Norton. I’ll search n do some check. 
  • HenryLee

Tinkerer

Options
    billsey said:
    No, I’ve not contacted Acer. Laptop is brand new one day only. Hascompleted all Windows 10 updates. Device manager shows two display drivers (Xe and Xe Max). When connect HDMI to external monitor and setting it only to ext monitor only, the desktop is stable.  I suspect it may be the display driver problem. BIOS screen n Windows update blue timer screen are both stable. It has Symantec Norton. I’ll search n do some check. 
  • HenryLee

Tinkerer

Options
    No, I've not contacted Acer.  Laptop is brand new one day only.  Has completed all Windows 10 update. Device Mgr shows two display drivers (Xe and Xe max).  When connect HDMI to ext monitor and setting it only to ext monitor only, desktop screen is stable.  I suspect display driver problem.  BIOS and Win Update blue timer screen are both stable.  It has Symantec Norton.  I'll search n do some more checks.
  • HenryLee

Tinkerer

Options
    billsey said:
  • Tinbaer

Tinkerer

Options
    billsey said:
    I wonder if the root cause is external, such as a bad power supply that's causing the motherboard failures...
    Sorry for the late reply. When the laptop went to the service center, they never want you to bring the power supply. Probably because they have their own and don't want the one from the client to go missing. But yes, what if the power supply is the issue, right? Nobody ever seemed to question that piece of hardware. 

Two times having a broken motherboard in such a short timespan is very weird. For now it seems to be working fine again. The question remains; for how long...
  • billsey
    Options
    @HenryLee since yours is so new, let's just swap it out for a different one from the vendor. They'll handle the process of dealing with Acer for that unit. It is possible that the display drivers are quite a bit older than what Intel is providing right now, they have been tweaking the new Xe stuff a lot over the last few months. It wouldn't hurt to install the ones from the Intel site (just go ahead and install after it gives the warning about custom code from the manufacturer) to see if that fixes it.
    @Tinbaer that is a big factor, too often we hear from users who sent the PSU in with the laptop and only got the laptop back. It does tend to cause issues when the power is the culprit. With a laptop that's much less of an issue than with a desktop though, since the battery handles the function, and they do have the battery with it while checking the system out. It's great that yours is working stably, it gives more hope that they've finally cleared it up for you.
  • Tinbaer

Tinkerer

Options
    billsey said:
    @HenryLee since yours is so new, let's just swap it out for a different one from the vendor. They'll handle the process of dealing with Acer for that unit. It is possible that the display drivers are quite a bit older than what Intel is providing right now, they have been tweaking the new Xe stuff a lot over the last few months. It wouldn't hurt to install the ones from the Intel site (just go ahead and install after it gives the warning about custom code from the manufacturer) to see if that fixes it.
    @Tinbaer that is a big factor, too often we hear from users who sent the PSU in with the laptop and only got the laptop back. It does tend to cause issues when the power is the culprit. With a laptop that's much less of an issue than with a desktop though, since the battery handles the function, and they do have the battery with it while checking the system out. It's great that yours is working stably, it gives more hope that they've finally cleared it up for you.
    If the PSU would be causing issues, which component would be the most vulnerable to your opinion? The second time they replaced the motherboard, the GPU was broken for what we were told. It could also be the case that it's all new to Intel to make these graphics chips and that it's just bad luck with the first gen of this XE series.

The way @HenryLee describes his issues, I wouldn't be surprised that he's having the exact same problem as we had with ours.