Orion 3000 Solid State Drive Upgrading from 512g to 1tb

Devious
Devious Member Posts: 6 New User
I want to upgrade from 512gig to 1tb SSD. Would I need a copy of windows once i switched the drives out? Sorry if this has been asked, I have searched and cant find it. There isnt a 2nd port to put the new SSD in, I have looked

Answers

• christy1
    christy1 Member Posts: 1,619 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Devious
    Whats the model number of the unit. 
    Accept if its Helpful.   B)
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    You will want to have a method for connecting both drives at once, so an external NVMe case with a USB connection. With the new drive connected externally clone the old drive to the new one, there are lots of choices for cloning software and most work well. Double check once the cloning is complete using Disk Management, you will likely have four partitions: the EFI partition (around 100MB), a recovery partition (around 500MB holding recovery software), another recovery partition (around 10GB holding recovery image) and the system partition (the rest of the drive). if they all match, except the C: partition size the clone has likely worked. Shut down and move the new drive into the computer, replacing the old drive. Power back up and verify it boots correctly. If everything is working as expected then you can do what you will with the old drive. Some models support two internal M.2 drives, some do not. Go ahead and wipe the old drive then create just one full sized partition on it and you can use it as a data drive.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Devious
    OK thank you, I will try that out.
  • Devious
    What about an internal caddy? do they even make those?
  • christy1
    christy1 Member Posts: 1,619 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Devious said:
    What about an internal caddy? do they even make those?
    check this link. 
     https://csapps.acer.com/kit-request/#submit
    Accept if its Helpful.   B)
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @Devious

Your PC can use M.2 NVMe SSD. You gave me the impression of upgrading a 2.5" SATA3 SSD to 1 TB( maybe the 512 GB drive is already M.2 NVMe). If you are upgrading from a 2.5" SATA3 SSD to a 1 TB M.2 NVMe SSD, that will be perfect, a cloning software will do it and you can keep the old drive for data.
  • Devious
    that link isnt valid anymore, thank you though
  • Devious
    maybe i should just add an HDD so i can have extra storage space. i am at a total loss now
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @Devious

You are probably using a 2.5" SATA3 Solid State Drive. One easy way to determine that is to download the CrystalDiskInfo program from internet and run it. If it indicates the sequential write speed is close to 550 MB/s, then you are using a 2.5" SATA3 SSD. If the speed is somewhere between 1,400-1,700 MB/s, then you are using a PCIe 3.0 x2 M.2 NVMe SSD. If the speed is between 2,800-3,400 MB/s, you are using a PCIe 3.0 x4 M.2 NVMe SSD.

Since your Orion 3000 motherboard has a M.2 slot , it will be a waste not to use it, this is the key to higher performance PC. As you can see from the numbers I quoted, it is much faster using PCie 3.0 x4 M.2 NVMe SSD. Adding one will increase performance and adding more storage. It is a win-win situation.
  • Devious
    edited May 2021
    well I looked into it and it will roughly $300 to clone ssd drive to ssd drive at a pc shop. I opted on an external ssd gaming drive, 8 terabytes. Thank you all for the replies. Until next time
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    Yeah, if you only needed the extra space then a big HDD is very cost effective. Not so much if you want to have your system drive on it as well, since the HDDs are so much slower than SSDs. We really needed the model number to give more detailed suggestions, there are a bunch of major differences between various models of PO3-xxx-xxxx.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.