Acer C710 Chrome OS recovery download

System
System Member Posts: 4,518 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
This discussion was created from comments split from: Acer C710 Chrome OS recovery download.

Answers

• NotForNow
    NotForNow Member Posts: 2 New User
    OK.  Sorry for the stupid username, but I just had to comment:

I learned the hard way. 

I own an ANCIENT (in 2021) Acer 710.  Actually 2.  But one started giving me the "Chrome OS is missing or damaged" message on boot-up.  The screen identified "Parrot Junglefowl A-C 9519" as the correct operating system.  I went through ALL of the above steps to re-install the OS. The steps up to creating the OS media went fine.  

Then I got the dreaded "An unexpected error has occurred" message when trying to install the OS to the Chromebook.   

OK.  Now what???   So as the (https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/1080595) page recommended, I repeated the download using different media, first, 3 different USB flash drives all of different sizes, then flash memory cards of different sizes, and the OS reinstall application kept giving me the repeated "An unexpected error has occurred" kept showing-up.  

OK. So, why not Google:  "parrot junglefowl A-C 9519 problems".  I got to this page on top of the listed results.  Hmmm... must be something to it.  Since the Chromebook is no longer supported, made no sense to call Acer Customer support.  So I read-on...

Then I found ruggaby's message above:  Open-up the chassis (VERY easy to do) & try to re-seat the hard drive.  Hmmmm... OK.  Easy-peasy.  Also saw that there's a second (& unfilled) RAM slot... something to hack-into later.  But the hard drive (a 320GB physical spinning hard drive, no less... typical for the technology of low-end 2013) looked fine.  Took a few minutes to figure-out how to remove/re-seat it.  You just lift-up on the thin metal frame... And I didn't even pull-out & re-seat the plugs.  I just wiggled them & pushed with gentle force.

Close-up the chassis, plugged it in (the battery is long dead, but since I just use it as a bedside internet access device, that's fine), and BOOM... the thing botted-up on the first try.  After about a month of getting nowhere.

So apparently, an Achilles' heel of this model is just that the hard drive connectors wiggle loose.  Good to know.  But then again, I should know by now that sometimes an impossible software fix is an easy hardware solution.

I just had to register for this site in case someone else runs into this problem.... 
  • NotForNow
    NotForNow Member Posts: 2 New User
    Wooops... Sorry for the typos.... I didn't know the site disallows edits.  So forget the grammar errors... you ought to be able to figure those out.  

Note that "botted-up" should be "booted-up" (in case there's a misunderstanding) 

And the support website is:  https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/1080595   There should be no ")" at the end of the address.

Anyway, if you have this problem, I hope the above helps.  Good luck! 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    Heck, I would have gone for bottled up instead. :)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • billsey
    When you do step into an upgrade for it you might just replace that old spinning drive with a small SSD...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • flaviolima
    flaviolima Member Posts: 1 New User

I have a C710. It was purchased during a trip abroad. However, when I try to access the link to reinstall Chrome OS, it displays the following message:

"Fatal Error

Access Denied
    Reason: Client address is not authorized."

I believe it is due to my location, Brazil.

Is there any way for me to download Chrome for my device?

Model: C710-2856

• billsey

I don't believe Google blocks on location for OS downloads. What link are you using? Are you using a VPN?