How to open Bios menu in Acer TravelMate P2510-G2-MG ?

rustypipe369
rustypipe369 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

I have an Acer TravelMate P2510-G2-MG and windows 10 uses about 60% of it's ram (PC has 4 GB) while I don't even have any applications open. For this reason, I've been trying to switch to linux operating systems. Recently I made a usb flash drive with kali linux operating system to check how my PC performs. But When I open my pc, there's no hint on the bottom of my screen which would tell me what button I need to press to get into bios menu. I tried Esc, all the function keys, Del as well as Insert. None of these seem to work. How can I open Bios menu?

Answers

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,763 Pathfinder
    Does f2 work for you?
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,933 Trailblazer
    I have an Acer TravelMate P2510-G2-MG and windows 10 uses about 60% of it's ram (PC has 4 GB) while I don't even have any applications open. For this reason, I've been trying to switch to linux operating systems. Recently I made a usb flash drive with kali linux operating system to check how my PC performs. But When I open my pc, there's no hint on the bottom of my screen which would tell me what button I need to press to get into bios menu. I tried Esc, all the function keys, Del as well as Insert. None of these seem to work. How can I open Bios menu?

To activate the BIOS Utility in your "TravelMate P2510-G2-MG" press F2 during POST when prompted at the bottom of screen. The default parameter of F12 Boot Menu is set to disabled. To change boot device without entering BIOS Setup Utility, set the parameter to enabled. To change boot device without entering the BIOS SETUP, Press during POST to enter multi-boot menu.

Your "TravelMate P2510-G2-MG" memory specs are:

1. Memory sizes - 4GB or 8 GB or 16GB removable DDR4-2400 SODIMM only.
    2. DIMM socket number - 1 (located through an easily accessible door at the bottom of its case) 
    3. Supports maximum memory size - 20 GB(4GB on board +16GB DIMM)
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer
    If you have done a failed Linux install previously it might have switched to Grub for the UEFI loader, which can set the F2 timeout at 0 seconds... It is actually possible to catch the F2 with that setting, but a bit tricky. Just try real often and perhaps switch to the press and hold F2 during power up method. Depending on keyboard settings you might have to use Fn-F2 instead of F2 by itself.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • rustypipe369

Tinkerer

edited May 2021
    Okay.. So I tried to hold down f2 along with power button when powering up my pc (as per @billsey 's suggestion) and BIOS menu finally opened. 
    But when I boot my PC with my USB flash drive, I get an error: Security boot failed. After I press enter, Windows 10 opens...  Is it not safe to
    install kali linux? If it is, how can i install it?

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,763 Pathfinder
    Did you try to disable secure boot in BIOS?
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi rustypipe369,

Check is your Win OS in S Mode or not.
  • billsey
    Yes, that is the normal thing if you are trying to boot from a different image, Secure Boot causes it to fail and gives you the warning. If you disable Secure Boot in the BIOS it will allow you to boot from foreign images, such as Linux. In addition you can set an EFI file as trusted and then you can have Secure Boot turned on and it will allow booting from that newly trusted image. That's what you are going to want to do to boot Linux instead of Windows.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • rustypipe369

Tinkerer

billsey said:
    Yes, that is the normal thing if you are trying to boot from a different image, Secure Boot causes it to fail and gives you the warning. If you disable Secure Boot in the BIOS it will allow you to boot from foreign images, such as Linux. In addition you can set an EFI file as trusted and then you can have Secure Boot turned on and it will allow booting from that newly trusted image. That's what you are going to want to do to boot Linux instead of Windows.
    I don't want to disable secure boot as it requires me to set a password and I think i'll just forget after setting it. How can I do it without disabling secure boot? Could you please explain how I can set my USB flash drive as trusted?
  • billsey
    You may or may not be required to set a password before disabling Secure Boot. If you do just set it to something easy and remove it when done with your changes. You don't really want to set the flash drive as trusted, you want to set the .efi file that the Linux installer puts on the boot partition as trusted after you have done the install. So, disable Secure Boot and make sure the F12 boot menu is enabled. Use F12 to select the Linux install flash drive as the boot drive and install Linux (you may have to muck with partitioning to make room for the Linux install). Once Linux is installed use the BIOS Security screen to make the file trusted and it should work fine.