Aspire A515-54-54QQ no soldered RAM

danm77
danm77 Member Posts: 2 New User
Hi everyone, had a quick question regarding the RAM on my specific Aspire 5 model.

For my specific model, the A515-54G-54QQ, I have the i5-8265U CPU with the MX250 Nvidia graphics card, and every where i've read online claims this laptop has 4GB of RAM soldered to the motherboard and the one ram slot with 4GB of RAM to total 8GB... upon taking the back off to add a 8GB RAM card to give me a total of 12GB, I was suprised to see just one 8GB RAM card and that's it... adding another 8GB obviously makes no difference to total RAM, so I am a bit perplexed as to why my specific model claims to have 4GB of RAM soldered to the motherboard. Did I miss something? I am in Canada, so did the Canadian models all come with just one free 8GB RAM card and no soldered RAM. I would've liked to have 12GB of RAM, but now looks like my only option is to buy one single 16GB RAM card...

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    >>>Did I miss something?>>>looks like my only option is to buy one single 16GB RAM card

Nope. Some boards came with. And some without the soldered RAM. You lucked out and got a mainboard without. So yes, looks like your only option is a 16GB module. Sorry. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• danm77
    danm77 Member Posts: 2 New User
    ahhh I never say that part anywhere, thanks for sharing... that's unfortunate, and a little disappointing that acer would sell an identical product, for the exact same price, but one is theoretically weaker if additional memory were to be added
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    >>>one is theoretically weaker if additional memory were to be added >>>

I prefer the motherboard without the soldered RAM. Less trouble when adding a RAM module that doesn't play well with the soldered RAM which often happens with sensitive dual-channel mode capability. And no need to replace the whole mainboard if an integrated RAM chip goes bad. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ