Aspire A515-55 laptop - How do I find out if it's HDMI is low-powered or sufficiently powered ?

Engle
Engle Member Posts: 2 New User
edited May 2021 in Nitro Gaming
I'm looking at buying an HDMI to VGA adapter to connect Aspire laptop to a VGA monitor (Dell)

While researching adapters, one criteria states : 
" Primarily, there are two kinds of HDMI to VGA converters – active and passive.
Active converters have a power port that will allow you to use them with low power ports and usually include an audio output jack.
Passive converters usually output images/video and aren’t compatible with low-power HDMIs.
You should know which port you have before making a purchase decision. "

I checked the Acer manual, but it does not mention HDMI power. It states :

How do I find out about the Aspire A515-55 HDMI power ? 

Thanks, 

Answers

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    There's not really a high powered port so not sure what it's talking about, usually the 'passive', ones will sip the power it needs off the hdmi no matter what. That main thing is 'active' ones have more chips in so need more power, hence the they usually have audio on bit
  • Engle
    Engle Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thanks, but I'm looking for the power of the HDMI port on the Aspire laptop. 
    If it's low-power, then I would have to get an Active HDMI to VGA Adapter
    If it's at least 5V, then I would have to get a Passive HDMI to VGA Adapter

I want to make sure that the Adapter is compatible and will work. 

Would getting an Active Adapter be the best bet ? (i.e. it would work regardless of the power of the HDMI port)

Here's another comment by the same author (Techguru) : https://www.galvinpower.org/best-hdmi-to-vga-converters/